Stop breastfeeding?

Anyone stopped breastfeeding at 4-5m postpartum? I've always been a just-enough supply mum and my supply dropped tremendously recently. I'm 4.5m post partum and find it stressful and tiring to continue. But i also feel guilty for wanting to stop. Not sure if I should take this "opportunity" to slowly stop breastfeeding? Just want to hear from fellow mums on their dilemma and what is the eventual choice taken.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I stopped at 4m shortly after my ML ended and baby goes to IFC. Initially felt emotional and guilty about it, but decided it’s the most practical solution. I have no help and in the morning it’s always mad rush to pump, prepare myself for work, send baby to IFC then commute to office which is 1.5 hrs away from home. When I get back home, I just want to spend time with my baby instead of being stuck to the pump. It doesn’t help that my mum is staying with me and she keep making insensitive comments since newborn days eg. baby keeps crying because my bm not filling, baby sleep better after drinking fm, why waste time pumping when the output is so little… I’ve tried my best at bf-ing so I have no regrets. My baby is now 7m old and she’s thriving. I feel happier too because I can get more sleep and don’t need to plan my schedule around pumping time. You do you, mummy! Eventually fed is best, and happy mummy = happy baby.

Read more

There’s really nothing wrong about it. I stopped pumping in the middle of the night when my son starts to sleep through the night. It’s at the expense of depleting my milk but i needed sleep too. Though i do feel guilty about it because I’m currently not working and i have all the time in my hands but i chose to not pump regularly to sustain my milk production. Honestly, i think people need to stop this stereotype. My friend couldn’t produce milk from the start & had to formula fed since newborn yet her baby is healthy and normal. Just do you! At least one task (pumping) is off your shoulders so you’ll have more time to do other things

Read more

Giving some is better than giving none. It's ok if supply drop it's normal especially after returning back to work. Don't be too hard on yourself . Soon baby will be weaning too. My supply drop too, 4mths PP mom as well. Just try as much to make it work. Mornings b4 everything else get a pump sesh. Once drop all kids and baby, before walking to office I will fix my wearable pump. It's just the next pump sesh will be during my lunch. You just try what you can don't be too stress about it. 🙂 You can try the babyexpress pumps. Theirs is wearable will make it easy for you. The sound is not too loud as well. Good luck!

Read more

I chose my mental health and well being. It was taking a toll on me, especially as a ftm. I was crying every single day. I then decide to hosp to get the medication to stop my milk production, cabergoline. Only 2 tablets needed. I am way happier now and i did not regret my decision altho some people told me i gave up too early and pity my son. Even the KKH nurse, lactation consultant said that to me (‘: My son needed a happy mom. And i needed to be healthy to take care of my baby.

Read more
5mo ago

Glad you’re able to put yourself first! :)

Agree with all mummies. Fed baby = happy baby. Happy mummy = happy baby. Baby will still be full and happy be it bm or fm. Do whats best for your mental health! I honestly stopped giving bm at only 1 week old cause i was so depressed from the pumping sessions and at the same time still in so much pain for csect, to add on trying to adapt with a newborn that keeps crying. Esp when youre a ftm. My baby is now 8 weeks on full FM, very happy, gaining consistent weight. 🙌🏻

Read more

You do you, you don’t owe anyone an explanation of your decision. Bm is not be the only good food that you will be providing to your child. Any fm brand that you choose after serious consideration is also a good food. Bless your heart!

Read more

me. my mental health and well being is impt. happy mommy = happy baby

I'm trying to stop now too..