Remarks by MIL

I’ve been taking care of my child full time since birth, and MIL keep thanking me for taking care of my own child. I feel annoyed when I hear that cause it’s not like I’m a nanny taking care of her grandchild? I’m the mother, why does she need to constantly thank me? Context: When i was out from confinement and the in laws came to visit baby, MIL said to me ‘baby X is our Lee zai zai you know?’ It’s as though she’s telling me my baby is their family’s baby? I still feel so disturbed and angry whenever I think about that comment or listening to her thanking me 😫

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Don’t be too bothered by other people other than your child. Just need to make sure when your child starts understanding words, don’t let her teach your child nonsense. You can reply her, it’s my job, cause I’m the MOTHER. Some elderly just speak without thinking but they don’t necessarily have ill intentions. Maybe when she say baby X is their Lee zai Zai again you can try can educate her by explaining your stand? That way if she managed to understand where you’re coming from and changed the way she speaks, your life would be better. 😊

Read more

chill, it's probably how the older generation are brought up and she probably experienced that previously. they have the impression women help the family name to be carried on and 添丁 😁 reiterate that it's your child and your responsibility. on the bright side, it's better to have this situation where she still appreciate and thank you than some evil MIL who always blame and shame their DILs?

Read more

Oh dear pls ignore her remarks cos ongoing she will have a lot remark which you will find it vvvvvv annoying and bother yr mood a lot. For example my daughter already 2yo, my mil never bother tc her first grandchild or even help a single bit yet her comment is forever why ur child so fussy so bad tempered whenever she come and give eye power.. is like hello they are young kid what u expecting 🙄

Read more

sometimes own family oso can be annoying too, not only in laws. Your MIL thank you maybe she understands how difficult it is to take care of baby yourself without help, she might just be doing this out of empathy. She just might want to give your baby a nickname and let your feel that baby is in inclusion and dont want to let u feel outcast.

Read more

i really dislike my in laws so everything they say is annoying. 🌚