Is it true that fennel seeds can increase your breast milk supply?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Fennel seeds are popular with breastfeeding moms to increase milk supply in the Mediterranean. It's been said that even the ancient Greeks used fennel seeds to increase lactation! On a scientific end, fennel seeds contain anethole, which is considered a phytoestrogen. Phytoestrogens mimic the properties of the hormone estrogen, which is normally involved in the growth of the mammary glands and increased secretion of milk in women. That being said, different women react differently to milk supply boosting ingredients. Might work for some, might not work for others. But there's no harm trying, I reckon :) http://www.livestrong.com/article/413389-fennel-seeds-for-breastfeeding/

Read more
VIP Member

If you check kellymom.com, a breastfeeding website, it says that fennel is related to digestive problems. I didn't try it when I was breastfeeding (I took fenugreek and malunggay instead), but like with anything all of us mothers take to try to increase our supply, there are possible side effects. It's safe to take fennel in so far as it won't cause extremely serious health issues, but yeah, there's a risk of experiencing some tummy problems by taking it.

Read more
VIP Member

Yup - can personally attest to that. If you are not fond of the taste of fennel seeds, you can drink one of the mothers tea (available on iherb) which includes fennel seeds as an ingredient.

thanks