In other countries, kids address their parents using their first names while not so much in India. I am not in favor of addressing them by their first names? What are your opinions parents?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think we are brought up in a way where addressing someone who is elder to you is not favoured. I am youngest in my family and have always addressed my elders brothers with their first names. We have difference of 9 and 7 years between us. And I am sure when I pronounce their names it hardly sound awkward to me but other people do not take it as sportingly. Now, that I am in my thirties and they in their 40s so difference kind of has fused but while growing up, our relatives would have long discussions over how being so many younger to my brothers I still not mannered enough not to call them by their names. So, you can very well imagine, how it would be if kids start calling their parents with their names in India! My daughter sometimes playfully call me by my name copying her father, but yes, I would prefer her calling me mummy, maa than my name.

Read more