Stressed by in laws about gender of baby

My in laws are very traditional (extended family too) about giving birth to a boy. My firstborn is a girl, and although they love her a lot, I know that they still yearn for a boy, and I find there’s nth wrong with that. Now that I’m pregnant, when I went for my 8th and 12th week checkup, my in laws keep asking, when will know the gender? Can the dr check the gender yet? They even went to the extent of questioning my firstborn (want didi or meimei), and forcing her to say didi till she was so frustrated, tries to ignore when they ask, giving both answers didi/mei mei at different occasions and keeps crying when they insist she has to say didi. The relatives are the kind that go “it’s ok you can try again for a boy” when I was pregnant with my girl. So the whole vibes are always boys better than girls, must give birth to a boy. I am so stressed as I am nearing to my 16th week checkup, which may have a slight chance to know the gender soon. For me, gender doesn’t matter but it’s really annoying to keep hearing these comments. Sometimes I really pray to give birth to a boy so that I can finally shut all their mouths because it’s just so irritating, and so that I can have my third or more children with a peace of mind. I keep telling my in laws that a healthy baby is most important, they will say yes yes, but still saying and giving non constructive comments. So stressed with everything already. What should I do...

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I feel u. But mine is stress given by my husband's younger brother's wife. She gave birth 1st to a baby girl 2 years after their marriage while I got pregnant after 10 years of trying. When she knew that she's pregnant, she yaya papaya that she brings glory to the family but feels a little disappointed when she knew her 1st child is a girl. When I finally got pregnant, she's jealous to hear that my only child is a boy. She goes around telling people that I'm the one causing her not to have 2nd child. Said mine will be a girl since i prefer girl. I told her straight to her face that as long i can have smooth delivery n my baby is healthy, boy or girl is the same to me. She starts to have sour feelings n keeps telling my in law parents things i didn't say. I told my hubby and in law that this lady is crazy n i just can't take it. All of them treat it as if it's my hormones changes due to pregnancy and just brushed it off. To me, mine n my baby's health are more important and some how my darling baby is understand me, and able to calm me down. Once I finished my confinement, I scream at all of them to let them know that I'm damn pissed off whenever anyone tries to tell me anything about her. And now all of them don't dare to speak to me anything about her, unless they want to hear nasty things. 😂 Whenever u feel stress by irritating people, focus n focus just on yourself and ur child. Nothing is more important than that. Have smooth delivery n enjoy happy pregnancy.

Read more