Foods to avoid during early pregnancy?

Hi I’m a FTM, just found out I’m a bout 5 weeks pregnant. I haven’t scheduled a doctors appointment but have been trying to be more conscious of foods I eat. But everytime I google something, even if it’s a fruit, there’s a lot of different answers and that causes anxiety. Is it true we should steer away from certain heaty or cooling foods? I have stopped drinking coffee or tea, and started taking my fish oils and multivits. #pregnancy #FTM

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Congrats! Google is scary! I avoided caffeine until 2nd tri , my gynae also said just avoid too. I would also check the app too. Oh and herbal things I also just avoid. I did cave in and took soft boiled eggs once or twice and ate sashimi once in japan… but mostly avoided these and didn’t have steak too cos I like it medium rare. it’s your comfort level and whether it’s from a reputable place or not :) I have a friend who took soft boiled eggs and ate medium steak often when she was pregnant. I would say first tri just to be safe avoid anything possibly “risky”. I even just avoided grass jelly/ cold drinks etc cooling things but I have friends who still drank cold water every day

Read more
2w ago

Thank you :) I’ll be safer and avoid those in the first tri too

My private gynae told me to just avoid smoking and alcohol. The rest all okay. But then I also abit skeptical la. So common things like caffeine, “cooling” food all these I also cut down. Instead of googling, I just check on Asian parent app since it’s more customised to Asians unlike google. Although my gynae say no food restrictions (other than smoking & alcohol), I also cut down caffeine, raw egg, soft boil egg, “cooling” food. And avoid left over food, uncooked meat/sashimi.

Read more
2w ago

I hear it is even okay to eat sashimi but eat in moderation and only if you know it is from a trusted source and definitely clean. Steak can eat.

Caffeine is fine - you can Google the max amount of caffeine you can have a day. Tea contains caffeine too and diff tea has diff caffeine level. Sashimi is fine only if it’s from reputable place - assuming they’re more “safe” and “hygienic”. The impt thing is you do not want to get food poisoning, salmonella, bacteria infection etc from all these raw / semi cooked food

Read more

Hello! Congrats to you! 😊 I avoided coffee throughout but still drink tea in moderation! Coffee has high caffeine from what I have heard. I also avoided raw food like sashimi, half cooked food like steak, soft boiled eggs. No alcohol. Cut down my sugar intake like bubble tea. Don’t forget to take folic acid too! This is very important for your baby during trimester one 😁

Read more
2w ago

Thank you! ☺️❤️

I read best is to avoid caffeine during first trimester so I have been avoiding it for now. Avoid any herbal food or drinks. Cannot eat raw food also. For fruits, papaya is definitely a NO. I read drinking cold water is fine as it will become body temperature when we drink it down. It will not affect fetus. Now weather too hot so I'm always craving for cold water too.

Read more
2w ago

Oh!! Thank you for the clarification :)

Congrats! Just avoid raw food, alcohol and herbal stuff (e.g. dang gui, ginseng). Anything else will be fine to eat as long as it’s in moderation. Don’t forget to take folic acid too!

First trimester take folic acid, no need fish oil yet.. second trimester then start fish oil :) I still drank tea during pregnancy, no side effects. Most importantly be happy, for a happy baby!

2w ago

Thank you for letting me know! Ahh I see so many responses that tea is okay, but I’m finally seeing my Gynae next week so I’ll get clearance then hehe. Thank you again 🥰

My gynae told me that you can only consume multivitamins after week 12, as too much vitamin A is not good for baby in the first trimester

1 cup of coffee a day is ok! - I still take them! My gynae who’s also expecting does that too so I feel more assured lol

2w ago

Ah I really hope so, hope my gynae will give me the green light , I’ll wait just to be sure lol. I need coffee!

I avoided all the cold and “cooling” food