Im suspecting my first baby (17months old) to have Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease because of his symptoms. Im worried that my second baby (7weeks old) would also get infected since we are all co-sleeping. We are practicing strict hand hygiene, especially on this time. But how would I ensure that my infant will not be able to get the virus? TIA

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Very importantly is to separate both of them. They can't sleep in the same room. Whether or not you have seen a doctor to verify, separate them 1st. Avoid any unnecessary virus/germs to be transmitted to your 7 weeks old infant. Hand hygiene is especially important during these crucial period. Do also get it checked and verified by the doctor fast.

Read more

I highly recommend you separate your older child from the younger one especially if something as contagious as HFMD is involved. The mummy above is right, 7 weeks is pretty young to be able to fend away germs and bacteria effectively. One of my friends sent their healthy child to stay with his grandparents when the older sister had HFMD.

Read more

The moment you discover any symptoms of HFMD, please get it check by the GP. As you are having a 7 weeks old baby, this is very important. Your baby's immunity is still weak and may not be able to fight the virus. Also, kindly ensure that the affected child is isolated in a separate room. Do not pass the virus around.

Read more

If it is possible, please sleep in separate room. Co sleep increase the risk definitely. Plus 7 weeks old immune system still not so strong. When my eldest got hfm, I separated my younger ones too although both will cry because of the temporary separation. Finally, my younger ones manage to escape it.

Read more
VIP Member

I think you should separate them for a while until the eldest fully recovered considering your second child only 7 weeks old. It is harder to cure infant than toddler because some medicine are not for infant.

Hi. Thanks for the input. But there is no way we can have a separate room or house for them. :(