Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Hi! I’m suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum (not out of first trimester yet) and I must say this experience has scarred me because it left me totally incapacitated and unable to work, unable to cope with daily tasks such as even eating. Most days are spent in a haze, being light-headed from the lack of proper food, and as a side effect of the medicines given to me (another thing is I worry so much about the effects of these medicines on my baby. Diclectin didn’t work for me, I have to take stronger medicines in order to be able to take in a little food). Seeking advice from mothers who have been through Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Did this come up in your subsequent pregnancies too? At this moment, what I am going through is enough to scare me away from trying for a second child next time. If you encountered it in more than one pregnancy, what gave you hope and the courage to try again? PS: not trying to be dramatic, sorry if it sounds this way. It’s just that it was so bad that I sank into a dark prenatal depression so I am really scared about what lies ahead (both for this pregnancy or any possible successive pregnancies next time). #FTM #firstbaby #firsttimemom #advicepls

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i went through this during my first trimester and it went away till i was 15 weeks. i had to be admitted in the hospital few times because i couldn't keep anything down even fruits/water too. i lost 11kg in my first trimester and i was shocked! unable to go out/work, enjoy my fav food. i was in the bed all the time because i had no energy to be up. i took diclectin and other medicine that stronger(couldn't remember the name) it works but just for awhile. it suck to feel this way and almost gave up but keep telling yourself that it's temporary. this is my first pregnancy too and honestly i am scared to get pregnant again after this. the vomiting really traumatised me and got me wonder if i have the courage to try again after this. most people say it will happen again for the second pregnancy and it might not happen again which all depends on our luck. i'm 35 weeks right now and everything's seem okay. have no really appetite for big meals but i do snacks alot on fruits. you're not being dramatic! it's really bad to go through it alone :( but hey, have some hope okay. it will go away soon and you will feel better.

Read more
10mo ago

Thank you! Yes I hope things will improve soon, hopefully… All the best as you prepare to meet your little one in a few weeks’ time!

I feel for you. My sis used to have this condition when she was carrying her 2nd child. And she can't work, often taking MC and resting at home. Her employer is sympathetic. This condition can be severe and needed to be warded. It's good that you are on medication and under control. Hope you can hang in there and this condition may or may not happen for subsequent pregnancies. my sis went on to have the 3rd child with no HG. Listen to your gynae have lots of rest and try to take mashed or liquid foods. It may subside in the later part of your pregnancy.

Read more
10mo ago

Thanks a lot for the advice! Your sister is really brave to have a subsequent child. I’m so scared after this experience…