regret giving my baby mobile phone

I'm feeling really regretful and worried right now. When my baby was around 7-8 months old, I started giving him access to a mobile phone because it was the only thing that seemed to keep him quiet. Now he's 1.5 years old, and I’m facing several issues that I think might be related to this decision: - He doesn't want to eat unless he's holding a mobile phone. - He doesn't speak as fluently as other kids his age. - He cries a lot when he can't have his mobile phone. - He doesn't seem interested in talking to other people and almost always cries if he can't hold the phone. I feel terrible and don't know what to do to fix this.... Has anyone else gone through something similar? What can I do to help him develop better habits and improve his communication skills?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through this. It can be tough to see our little ones facing challenges, especially when we feel like we might have had a hand in causing them. But the good news is, it's never too late to make positive changes and help your baby develop better habits. First of all, you're definitely not alone in this. Many parents have found themselves in similar situations, so please don't be too hard on yourself. The fact that you're seeking advice and looking for solutions shows how much you care about your baby's well-being, which is the most important thing. Now, regarding the issues you mentioned, there are a few things you can try to help your baby develop better habits and improve his communication skills: - Limit screen time: It's recommended that children under 18 months old should not have any screen time at all, except for video chatting. Try to gradually reduce the amount of time your baby spends with the mobile phone, and replace it with other activities like reading, playing with toys, or simply interacting with you and other family members. - Encourage communication: Spend more time talking and interacting with your baby. Narrate what you're doing, sing songs, read books, and encourage him to respond, even if it's just babbling. This will help him develop his language skills and feel more comfortable communicating with others. - Set a good example: Children often imitate the behavior of adults, so try to limit your own screen time when around your baby. Show him that there are other ways to entertain himself and communicate with others without relying on a mobile phone. - Be patient and consistent: Breaking habits takes time and patience, so be consistent in your efforts and give your baby the opportunity to adapt to the changes. It might be challenging at first, but with time and persistence, you'll likely see improvements. Remember, every child is different, and it's never too late to make positive changes. With your love, support, and guidance, your baby can develop better habits and improve his communication skills. You're doing a great job by seeking help and wanting the best for your little one. Stay strong, and things will get better! https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

I went with cold turkey method just 2 days ago, i kept all the devices and tv remote because her temper is super bad (she’s 28m) and learnt a lot of useless stuffs from YouTube kids (Specifically Diana and Roma). Crying cannot be avoided, but after crying, she will go and dig out all her toys and play, she even digged out those toys that she didn’t played for months or even years. It’s been 2 days and she’s still finding out old toys 😅. On off she sees us using phones she will come over and attempt to watch together then we just turn off the phone. But one thing I stick to (before I kept everything) is strictly no screentime during meal times. If don’t want to eat then no screen no food.

Read more
TapFluencer

What I did was start by using a timer counting down once alarm ring off, off it, limit his screen time. (Either tv or phone usage). Try to engage him in playing music, mini games, pretend play or ball games to keep him occupy (letting him forget about screen time). If you preserver, it will work out. Hang on there! You can do it! 👍 As an adult, if child do not have screen time, adults too. See your phone discreetly.

Read more

Maybe for morning activity bring down for a walk in the park/play playground to set his mood. Interest him in activities that is relatable to the show that he is watching. Provide him a toy phone in exchange.

Read more

I believe it can be fixed. But need to be consistent. Bring him outdoors often, outdoor activities like cycling, playground, or those painting activities in shopping malls or indoor playground if its hot outside.

4w ago

But we parents especially when we need time to do some wrk, we cn give them some limited screen time. No phones pls if cn bcz they will watch it too close and itll be difficult to get it frm their hands when the time is up. Its better if its the telly or screen projector so once time its up, you cn off it. But mz inform him beforehand that he can only watch within certain timing like say just half an hr or anything. Like maybe only once or twice a day and he can choose which timing. All up to you mummy!! Set rules. Probably get him to watch educational ones like bluey or Vooks etc. You got this

outdoor play screen time is usually recommended after 3 and in moderate amount so meaning whatever time not spent on TV/phone will need to be redirected

Cold turkey if u can if not limit the screen time. Eg. 1hr per day. Engage him in another activities or go play outdoors.

Slow² kurangkan penggunaan gadget... Dan perbanyakkan buat aktiviti dengan anak

🫰

💕