should i stop work early?

i'm currently working as a teacher in a childcare and is in class with the children for a big chunk of the day. i know most pregnant ladies are able to work up till 30+ weeks but i come back so tired and drained from being in a classroom filled with so many active children everyday. my second trimester hasn't been as enjoyable as i've read it's supposed to be for most, since my lethargy and a few other pregnancy symptoms have actually intensified (breathlessness, irritability, migraines from the loud ambience, etc.) doesn't help that the last term of school will be soooo hectic what's bothering me too is that i will be moving houses soon and be further away from work closer to my third trim. but with everyone i know and seen so far working till the start of their maternity leave i feel so useless if i took on the option to go on unpaid leave for the time being....

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello! I was a subsidised patient under KKH and managed to get HL from the doctor when I went for my routine check at 36 weeks. First I tried to request and she said that they can only issue if I was hospitalised. I broke down and explain to her what my job scope is like, also a childcare teacher, and I told her that I had to crawl just to set up pe equipment and still have to run and jump around with my huge tummy. She was nice enough to issue me one. Just try asking for HL, most doctors are nice enough to issue you one if they see a need. Otherwise like all the other mummies shared just take NPL since baby and you are the priority! Jia you!

Read more
3y ago

my gynae (priv hosp) told me straight up she wouldn't give any HL unless i was hospitalised...bc she does the checking on the issuance of HLs for other gynaes LOL but in this case i'm probably going to take NPL like you mentioned. thank you so much!

Try to ask ur gynae for HL. If u're a private patient, higher chance of getting it (tho private hospitals are more lenient to give as compared to govt hospitals). I'm a teacher too, in pri sch. My gynae gave me HL frm 33rd wk onwards, partly due to my asthma too. So I only used my ML aft birth.

3y ago

my gynae (priv hosp) told me she wouldn't give any HL unless i was hospitalised...bc she does the checking on the issuance of HLs for other gynaes 🥲 but in this case i'm probably going to take NPL like you mentioned. thank you so much!

If you’re tired, pls do. Don’t feel bad about NPL. What’s more important is you and your baby. Can also consider HL if your gynae is ok issuing it to you. Take care! :)

3y ago

thank you for your advice :) i guess i really have to overcome that fear of how my colleagues see me and do what's best for myself. now i just need to muster up the courage to ask for NPL...

if i were u...i just go for unpaid work, everybodys pregnancy i different. Your baby is more important.

3y ago

Have a safe n healthy pregnancy my dear ❤❤❤

I quit once I found out I'm pregnant. baby is more precious at this moment. you're not alone:)

3y ago

thank you 💖

Super Mum

Hi mommy, always listed to your body. if you get too tired and drained out, you need to rest.

3y ago

❤️

if u have difficulty to work please take leave, be it HL NPL or whatever leave you have.

3y ago

thank you for your advice ☺️ considering NPL now as we speak!

Super Mum

You can try asking for HL from your gynae to rest at home.

3y ago

sadly my gynae said she will not give HL unless i was hospitalised 😔