First time working mom

I’m a mother of a 16 months old. I’m in my current role for half a year but it’s a culture misfit and I dread to go to work with all the pointless meetings and unfulfilling work. So i had another job offer that came which provides me with opportunity and work life balance as well and something I want to move into. It’s scary but I decided to take up the role as I feel that it’s hard to come by and I’m not happy in my current role. I will be starting the role soon and my son will be transiting to play group in about 2 months time. I’m having anxiety, am I selfish to move roles at this point in time? I feel so guilty. I don’t know what to do. It just feels so hard being a working mom. #firsttimemom

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Firstly, it is okay to feel anxiety as soon as you change role, change job or when you transit to another job that gives you WLB. You don't need to feel guilty. Why? Because most couple as soon as they got a baby, they would like to have flexibility, WLB work opportunity in order to meet the needs of their children. However, usually this happened to most mum. Not all dad takes up job that has WLB. Sometimes they work shift while mum takes the office hours job or job that has WLB opportunity. I have been work line pretty long, soon as I have better opportunity, I change, take the role and ensure before accepting it, my future employer meet my criteria and vice versa. In that way, it helps me fit in well. I mean tbh, I am not the only mum right, so I make them understand me and otherwise. Having said that in SG, we need two working person to meet the needs/wants/goals/financial stability of our own family. So, don't be worried about anything. As long as you are happy, child is in school, you get to spend time on weekend, you are doing perfectly great.

Read more