perfect dad

I'm a father ..I have the cutest daughter who turned a year old.. While Im happy with the perfect family, I am unable to fit in as a perfect dad... I feel my individuality is lost, Its all about my wife and child now.. I feel restrained in many ways and immature as I can't handle most things; People look at me as a responsible father and husband and the word responsible creeps me out... Is this feeling normal? How do I battle this?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

When a baby enters this world, much emphasis and attention is given to the new mother and baby, to help them heal, adjust and grow. It is easy to overlook another member of the family that is undergoing change as well -- the daddy. Most first-time dads experience stress because of sleep deprivation, change in routines and their own apprehensions about parenting. So yeah, it's normal to have your doubts. But you shouldn't let it engulf you. Perhaps you should look for an outlet where you can share your stress. Communicate with your wife, share your feelings with her. Or, you can seek support and advice from a father support group or a friend who is or has gone through this stage in life. You'd be surprised to find out that a lot of first time daddies feel the same way as you do. My best friend's husband is lucky to have a group of friends who became dads around the same time he did and they meet up every now and then for mommy-free play dates haha.

Read more