Folic Acid

Hi im 19weeks pregnant and i have stopped consuming the folic acid after my 1st trimester.. should i continue or just stop totally?

41 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Folid acid is part of your prenatal care for your baby. If you're not allergic, I urge you to take so compiled with other vitamins for your baby's development. Do read up ur nutrients intake for each trimester to better provide for your child and talk to your gynae.

The doctor from polyclinic prescribed me with folic acid and Vit D for the first trimester (am still taking them now) and she mentioned that I can continue taking Obimin throughout my pregnancy as it also contains folic acid. I got mine from Guardian.

VIP Member

If ur doctor prescribe u multi vitamin supplements, u can stop your folic acid as the multi vit pills will contain sufficient amount of folic acid for your 2nd trimester needs.

Can take Obimin (multi vit) which contains folic. I got mine from jb caring pharmacy as I found it to be cheaper than buying from gynae or S'pore pharmacies.

Did u gynae prescribe multi vitamin supplements from second trimester onwards? If yes this also contains folic acid which is sufficient for daily needs.

Super Mum

Actually you can stop. Folic acid is important in the first trimester during the development of the neural tube. Continue to eat well though:)

VIP Member

Continue, women who are not pregnant can also take. Folic acid is water soluble and won't be stored in body, need to eat daily

Hey, If the doctor has given multi vitamins then you can stop taking folic acid pills as the multivitamin pills have those

Folic Acid for first trimester and was given Obimin throughout till I gave birth. Best to consult or check with gynae.

You may finish up your folic acid and consume together with the rest of your supplements (fish oil, obimin, calcium)