Should I continue taking folic acid (5mg) after my first trimester?

Should I continue taking folic acid (5mg) after my first trimester? Some of my friends continued taking till they gave birth. But gynaecologist say can stop and just take multi vitamins. I have always had the runs / feel nauseous when I took that multivitamin hence I’ve stopped that including the folic acid for a month. worried that the baby is now lacking of folic acid

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My gynae said the baby can't the folic acid after first trimester so I was told to take multivitamins too:) Mine is slightly flavored. Maybe that helps to prevent nauseousness while taking it:)

No added benefits of taking folic acid after first trimester. By second trimester baby needs other form of nutrients for their growth development which can be absorbed from multi vitamins instead.

My gynae told me to take folic till end of first tri only. Once second tri starts, stop folic acid, start taking obimin + vitamin D3 + fish oil.

I finish my folic acid even thou I went pass 1st trimester and take it together with the vitamins prescribed.

My gynae also stop folic acid n prescribe obimin