second language or mother tongue?

If you have a choice to choose your child's second language or mother tongue, what would it be and why?

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would say French because having lived in Europe, I realize how much of an asset it is to know French, especially if you want to work for major international organisations in like the UN or Interpol. English is still predominantly the main working language everywhere but French is quite prevalent too.

Read more

Let him learn anything the environment teach to him. I speak indonesian and sometimes english to my son because parents we use english to communicate, but i live in turkey so my relatives and other family speak turkish and grandparent they speak in javanese. Poor baby but i believe he can manage

I live in South Africa and I agree with the moms.. English is an international language, hence English first language and Afrikaans (a little more close to home) second language and when he goes to school he will have the opportunity should he find it interesting to learn an african language

I haven't really thought about it, we speak English to the kids as we both south African. But there grandparents speak Afrikaans to them as well. And my eldest started learning Afrikaans in school as well

english as first language. tagalog as second language as his father is filipino. and maybe additional language like bahasa malaysia and sign language because not everyone knows sign language

Hmmm... I think about it all the time. I speak Romanian to my child, his father speaks Turkish and we speak English to each other. Poor baby will be very confused.

My kids love japanese anime, and they already picked up some japanese words while watching, so i think japanese should be our next language! :)

I want my child to speak 2 languges. So i talk with her in bahasa and my husband talk with her in dutch language.

VIP Member

mandarin. im inese. so i will always encourage my child to speak our mother tongue.

TapFluencer

Mandarin - this is widely used globally and will come in handy as my Son grows up