4 Replies

I totally understand how you feel. My kids refuse to nap too. Both my older boys dropped their noon nap by 3. I gave up forcing them to sleep unless we have dinner to attend at night because it just takes way too long. Sometimes by the time they nap, it is time for them to wake up. All the time wasted when we could have done something together (plus my sanity!!) . So I decided to let them sleep when they feel like. My older boy who turns 6 in Nov is more sensible now. If he is tired in the afternoon he will let me know. There's really no right or wrong in this whole nap thing. Every child is different. My younger son sleeps less than the older one despite whatever methods I try. So don't be too hard on yourself.

btw adding to that I'm a sahm so my kids initially slept at 6pm till morning around 8am. now they are 4 and 6 and will sleep from 8pm to 8am

I think nap time is necessary. Sleep is essential for their growth and lack of sleep may make them grouchy, which might lead to them fighting. I also realise that if my boy does not nap enough, he will wake up at night crying. Make it a quiet event before nap time, just like bedtime. That would mean no TV, toys or any stimulating activities. Keep them in the bedroom, lights out, draw the curtains, and try singing nursery rhymes or reading stories. If you pretend to sleep, they may gradually sleep too. Even if they don't sleep, they still get some quiet time to rest. I imagine that this is what childcare centres do too, since they have a schedule to follow.

I will enforce nap time. Up till the age of 5 years old I believe they still need a nap. They can go without nap but they will get cranky in the evening and may even fall asleep during dinner time. When they are six I won't enforce it unless they are tired because by 7 years old they start primary school and will likely drop off their nap. For your 2 and 3 year old kids you defintely need to make them nap. Perhaps being together makes it harder for them to nap as they will want to play. Have you tried separating them during nap time?

I've tried separating them, one to nap with my FIL, but they don't like the idea, so everyone's with me. I like the idea to ensure the 2yo and 3yo sleep, but often they are the ones playing before nap (-.-)"

The 3 & 2 need a nap. The 5 doesn't need a nap

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles