I used to have problem latching my baby since birth so I have only done direct latching until she is abt 2 weeks old. Thereafter, I pump and bottle feed. I still can keep up w my LO demand during confinement month but after confinement I do not have much time to pump hence my pumping schedules reduced by half. I used to pump 6-7 times a day and became only 3-4times a day and hence my supply dropped drastically. Recently I tried to direct latch my baby again and this round it was successful..she don't fuss anymore and can suckle well. She's 8 weeks old now...I latch her for 15mins until she unlatch and she can last avg 2.5hours until nxt feed. However I noticed that her pee output has reduced. Previously her diaper can be very full when I change her 3 hourly. I direct latch her the whole day yesterday and sometimes 6 hours later, her diaper still not wet but she did poo. Does this means she is not drinking enough?? I'm quite concern.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From what I’ve read, babies older than 6 weeks should wet at least 4-5 disposable diapers every 24 hours. Their urine should be pale and mild smelling. The frequency is likely lower than when he/she was a newborn as his/her bladder would develop with time and has the ability to hold more urine. Therefore, while the frequency may decrease, the diapers should be wetter (or reasonably wet). Some signs which suggest that your baby is getting enough breast milk would include: - Adequate weight gain - Your breast should feel softer (or empty) after the feeding - Baby seemed contented after feeding - Baby is generally alert and active, and meeting his/her development milestones For more information, you can refer to this article: http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/enoughmilk-older/

Read more

You do not have to worry as long as there is output. Babies will not starve themselves, they are clever beings. If you are direct latching, never count the hours. Just feed on demand as we do not know how much exactly baby is drinking. Try adding in one power pump at night and remember to drink more fluid. You can pump a longer period of time if you are having less sessions I.e. You are pumping for 10 mins, increase it to 15 mins to make up for the sessions that you missed. You will need to take note if baby weight is not increasing and/or there is no output. Then you can consider switching back to bottle feed. Please bring baby to see a doctor if there are signs of dehydration.

Read more
Post reply image

Thanks for the reply! If baby is gaining weight I should not be concern right even if the pee output is lower than normal but poo output is still going on? I have no confidence in my supply so I'm afraid my LO is not getting sufficient milk from direct latching.... but during latching I can hear her swallowing the milk and my other breasts leak too and I can feel letdown. When letdown happens, I can hear her swallow more deeply. After 15 mins of latching she will auto unlatch but I didn't offer the other side anymore. One more qns abt latching on demand. Sometimes LO cry can be due to many other reasons (other than wet diapers), how will I know if she wants to nurse?

Read more
8y ago

As long as baby gain weight it is fine. When they are older, their diapers will not be so heavy as they are also drinking lesser feeds as compared to when they are born. A little wet is still considered as there is output. My boy when he is 3 months we on

Was nursing well for 2 days and suddenly just now LO was screaming and crying at breast and refused to latch. Not sure if she's too hungry or what happened. Any insights? End up I gave her bottle and she finish up everything pretty fast. So sad. :( I thought I have already successfully bring her back to direct latching...

Read more
8y ago

I'm in exact same situation as you but my Lo is now 3 months old. He was mainly bottle fed in first month due to latching issue. In second month onwards his latching doesn't seem to hurt anymore so I trued direct latching but my bf journey has been so up

as long as there is wet diapers i wouldn't worry. i have would worry if baby gets dehydration. that's my top priority.