I used to have problem latching my baby since birth so I have only done direct latching until she is abt 2 weeks old. Thereafter, I pump and bottle feed. I still can keep up w my LO demand during confinement month but after confinement I do not have much time to pump hence my pumping schedules reduced by half. I used to pump 6-7 times a day and became only 3-4times a day and hence my supply dropped drastically. Recently I tried to direct latch my baby again and this round it was successful..she don't fuss anymore and can suckle well. She's 8 weeks old now...I latch her for 15mins until she unlatch and she can last avg 2.5hours until nxt feed. However I noticed that her pee output has reduced. Previously her diaper can be very full when I change her 3 hourly. I direct latch her the whole day yesterday and sometimes 6 hours later, her diaper still not wet but she did poo. Does this means she is not drinking enough?? I'm quite concern.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You do not have to worry as long as there is output. Babies will not starve themselves, they are clever beings. If you are direct latching, never count the hours. Just feed on demand as we do not know how much exactly baby is drinking. Try adding in one power pump at night and remember to drink more fluid. You can pump a longer period of time if you are having less sessions I.e. You are pumping for 10 mins, increase it to 15 mins to make up for the sessions that you missed. You will need to take note if baby weight is not increasing and/or there is no output. Then you can consider switching back to bottle feed. Please bring baby to see a doctor if there are signs of dehydration.

Read more
Post reply image