Attention all expecting mothers 🤰 Are you experiencing a rollercoaster of emotions?

Are you experiencing a rollercoaster of emotions during your pregnancy journey? Fret not, join me, Dr. Fairuz or an exciting and informative Q&A session. 📲 📢 Topic: Coping with Emotional Changes During Pregnancy 🤰 📅 Date: Wednesday, 14th June I understand the unique emotional challenges that pregnancy can bring. During this Q&A session, we'll delve into the intricacies of emotional well-being, stress management, and self-care during pregnancy. I’ll share some effective strategies, practical tips, and empowering insights to help you navigate these pregnancy changes. 💖✨ Leave your burning questions and concerns below this post, and I'll address them during the Q&A. 🗣️💬 #advicepls #pleasehelp #bantusharing

23 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm giving birth soon.. And my emotion is really unstable right now.. I have 2 kids now & another one is on the way.. Sometimes I felt like screaming, crying all of it.. Sometimes I felt like giving up my life.. I'm not a working mum.. My first is 7 years old my second baby is 10months old.. Sometimes I felt like I failed to be a good mum. I don't know if I'm too stress or tired to handle everything.. My husband he working permanent night shift.. Sometimes at night I cried alone to sleep.. Or maybe I don't sleep at all coz I think too much.. I hope I can seek some help..😔😥

Read more
11mo ago

Yes if you feel like giving up on life then it sounds like you need professional help. All you need is a referral letter from your GP or your obstetrician to be seen at any psychiatry clinic at the government hospital. Helping yourself means you are also helping your children at the same time.

I am pregnant for first time and it seems for me i am overwhelmed with this journey . I feel stressed that i am the only one planning (setting up nursery, buying things, planning on my maternity leaves, etc)for the coming of the baby, i feel my husband/ family is not really very interested or caring towards the birth of the baby, which infact makes me depressed and down at all times. I feel like i am left alone in this. My husband is also new to this and does not understand at all times my feelings. Is it a common feeling for first time moms? How can i overcome it?

Read more
11mo ago

It would be good to have a chat with him to tell him about what you are going through. Give him some resources to go through. Fathers also experience changes in hormones but not to the extent that mothers go through. You might have to teach him how you want him to help you, for instance giving you a massage or a back rub. Some first time parents do go through this. If it is persistent you might want to speak to a medical practitioner for advice. The doctor can also speak to your husband about how to give support to you.

when my partner is down, i get stressed handling my toddler's character while being 23 weeks pregnant with my second child. how can ro cope with the stress and build up emotions and feeling to tired due to pregnancy and lack of sleep of having to look after your unwell partner, unpredictable toddler and work... 😪

Read more
11mo ago

Yes it is a lot for a pregnant mother to have to look after her partner and her child at the same time. These are actually risk factors for maternal depression, so if symptoms persist do not hesistate to seek medical advice. Having a sense of humor helps any situation, besides losing our perfectionist traits. Remember, it is only a temporary situation and you might look back on it as the happiest time of your life when everyone was together at home.

I’ve anxiety issue even before getting pregnant (afraid to go out alone/staying home alone). My emotions are ok now as I’m occupied w work but I’m afraid I won’t be able to manage it once the baby’s here… any tips?

11mo ago

We are stronger than we think, especially when it comes to looking after our baby. Learn some relaxation techniques such breathing exercises or progressive muscle relaxation or using imagery. You might need medication and therefore needs to be seen by a psychiatrist at any government hospital.

Are there any specific self-help books or links you recommend for pregnant women to better understand and cope with emotional changes?

11mo ago

The Pregnant Woman's Companion: Nine Strategies That Work to Keep Your Peace of Mind Through Pregnancy and Into Parenthood Paperback

How common are emotional changes during pregnancy, and what are some of the typical emotions that pregnant women experience?

11mo ago

Many women experience transient emotional changes during pregnancy such as mood swings, feeling tearful and easily irritated. About 10-20 percent experience anxiety or depressive disorders during pregnancy.

Are there any lifestyle adjustments or self-care practices that pregnant women can adopt to promote better emotional health?

11mo ago

Yes, self care is important. Listen to yourself and your body to be aware of what you need. Make sure you have enough sleep and rest. Practise a healthy diet with less processed and sugary foods. Try light to moderate exercise like walking, yoga or swimming. Surround yourself with people who support you.

Anyways, it is tough to keep a check on emotions but why does it get even tougher to control emotions during pregnancy?

11mo ago

This is due to higher levels of hormones than we are used to in the body. Once we have adapted to these hormones, usually the emotions go away. However some women have emotions that persist throughout pregnancy. It is best to talk to a medical practitioner about this.

Are there any natural remedies or alternative therapies that can help with emotional well-being during pregnancy?

11mo ago

There is no specific remedy for emotional well-being but you might try some light to moderate exercise and a healthy diet. Try some yoga, aromatherapy or a cup of camomile tea.

How long do emotional changes typically last during pregnancy, and when should women expect them to subside?

11mo ago

Emotional changes begin in the first trimester at about week 9 or week 10 and can last up to a few weeks postpartum which we call postpartum blues. Anything more persistent or serious than that should be referred to a medical doctor because it might be an anxiety or depressive disorder during pregnancy or postpartum.