Hi SAHM may I ask what is the usual financial arrangements with your husband? Does he provide a monthly allowance to you?

I am thinking to be SAHM after my Maternity leave ends and concerned about the financial expectations - I dip into my own savings, or hubby usually provides allowance. I have tried to ask my husband but he kept quiet when I mentioned on monthly allowance to me.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

My husband and I have a joint bank account. The baby belongs to both parents. There shouldn’t be any hesitation in both parents in providing the best for baby, whether it’s in caring for the baby or providing for baby financially. That’s how I feel. My husband became the stay at home dad, and he’s doing an amazing job! All my salary goes into the joint account. We have no qualms about spending necessary money on the kids. Or even buying gifts for each other. We plan to be with each other till death, so I have no issues sharing the money.

Read more

I quit teaching to become a SAHM. My hubby passes me half his take home salary each month after I list down the things that I will have to pay for or buy monthly. I think both needs to sit down together to discuss the expenses, require lots of sacrifice to depend on single income (needs above wants). It seems like your hubby is not so willing to provide fully (maybe he has his constraints too). Need to ensure he is fully supportive, else issues will pop up later on and you definitely don't want to lose a marriage over money.

Read more

My husband and his family are supportive of me becoming a sahm, maybe because his siblings and mum are all sahm too. I think husband’s own mindset/family background very important cuz like if they truly uds the life of sahm, I feel they are more appreciative and okay with $$. After I quit my job, my husband pays for everything including my insurances and facial/hair/nail. My husband doesn’t stop me from spending because he knows I’ll think twice before buying anything.

Read more

When I'm working full time, hub does not give me allowance. Since he earns more than me, he pays for all the home expenses. I handle all household matters so putting in effort n time is my fair share of the load. Since pregnancy, I switched to part time work and he gives me a monthly allowance of half of his monthly savings. Ultimately, depending on the number of hours I work for the month, I sometimes earn less than what i used to as full timer.

Read more

My husband never give me a fixed allowances. We paid most of our monthly expenses using cc n he will settle it when the bills come. My husband needs to travel about twice a month, each travel is 4 to 5 days. He will just check if I have money in my wallet. Then he just top up. I told him I am no longer working, so unless neccessary, I wont touch my savings!

Read more

After my maternity leave end I choose to be sahm too. My hub agree but till date not a single cent from him. I've been feeding myself and my baby for 1 year plus. Until I feel like divorcing got hub like no hub. Don't know what's the point.

4y ago

Have a good chat. Initially, my hub wasn't comfortable with giving me a monthly allowance. Eventually, he eased into it and gave me a little more than I expected. Maybe it will help if he talks to his friends to find out what is the norm.

VIP Member

Hey! We both agreed for me to be a SAHM for our daughter's sake.. so he settles all the bills and etc.. gives me $1000+ each month so I can give my parents some money, and the balance is for my own expenses..

I'm a working mum, my husband still give me allowance. More for buying groceries and all. Have a talk with your husband about the arrangement, list out the priorities

I think it depends case to case as my case i earn much more so practically i cant be the sah person lol.

If you stop working, of course he should support the family financially