Weaning off pacifier

I started giving my boy pacifier quite early, at about 3weeks old. I was stress about the crying and felt very lost, hence i resort to giving pacifier to “calm him down”. Though my LO is nt very dependent on the pacifier but at times I can see that he wants something to suck (even though he is not crying for it). Sometimes he needs it to sleep, but sometimes he is ok without. How can I wean him off the pacifier and not affect his sleep.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I introduce quite early too..arnd 1 week too.. i felt like pacifier is a life saviour, same like above mommy , my lo is not dependant on it but i at times feel bad giving my lo pacifier. If you really want to wean of, you can try giving vinegar . But do note that pacifier doesnt really affect on latching , in fact some lactation consultant use pacifier to correct baby latching . You can slowly wean off when baby start to grow teeth coz prolong using pacifier can cause teeth slanting and other problem.

Read more

I started 2 weeks for my newborn coz we couldn't take his crying murder... he only used it when trying to sleep. After fall into deep sleep, he will spit out... then one fine day not even 9 mths, he never look for pacifier anymore. Recently at 13 mths, we gave him suck a bit b4 sleep coz of his night terror. He found comfort in it. Same situation, deep sleep spit out.. we had also tried at times not to give pacifier.. so really depends on his mood. But I would say mine is not addicted.

Read more
VIP Member

There is nothing wrong with pacifier if it keeps baby calm UNLESS your baby have other methods to calm themselves then by all means stop...if you choose a good pacifier built for the growing teeth/mouth it should not have any adverse affect. My son was on AVENT pacifiers until he was in Pri 5...he used it only for sleeping and it calms him down. His teeth are growing nicely, no problems with speech, etc...just dont over think everything...go with your gut feel...

Read more

My girl was addicted to her pacifier and I decided to wean her off when she was at age of 4/ 5.Just had to let her cry her hearts out for a few nights to a week especially before bedtime and at times in the middle of the night.It turned out fine after that and it was a success.Heartbreaking process but had to bite the bullet to see through it.

Read more
Super Mum

How old is your boy now? Maybe try cold turkey if you really want to wean off? I asked my PD, PD told me is OK for baby to use pacifier. It reduce the risk of SIDs and is a way to help baby to fall asleep easier.

Maybe introduce him a blanket?