Gestational diabetes: How to prevent?

I am at risk of getting gestational diabetes. But I cannot possibly cut out all carbs during my pregnancy, right? Any advice, mummies? What did you do to prevent it?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had gdm. I was craving for fast food every night and rice intake was high. The dietician advised me to change my rice to brown rice my bread to wholemeal bread. And have to take half portion of rice only. Eat more vegies and fruits. After eating try to walk atleast 30 mins to an hour. Drink water and avoid juices or teh tarik. U can have it actually but in small.quantity. unfortunately for me i was on metformin and insulin. Delivered my baby via csect weighing at 3.4kg and he is doing fine. Goodluck.

Read more
VIP Member

For rice, I lessen the portions and ate basmati instead. Stopped taking bread unless it was rye. I ate wholemeal pasta, and couscous. Ice cream maybe once a month or none at all. No sugar in my tea. No sweets, cakes, desserts. No carton juices. Ate fruits that naturally has less sugar in it. I love strawberries actually, but I just ate everything in moderation. If I felt like having something sweet, Id just eat fruits, Dark chocolate sorbet, or just focus my mind on smtg else.

Read more

Dont have to cut all carbs. Change to wholemeal products. Eat smaller portions, increase no. of meals. For example, hv 5 small meals a day instead of 3 big meals. Do some light exercises if u are okay, like jogging. Or walking if u cant jog. No sweet stuffs (I.e. sugar, ice cream, milo, anything that is high in sugar content). Eat more vegetables.

Read more
VIP Member

i don't think u can prevent it per se, but eating healthily does help in managing it. i had mild GD (nothing much i could do cos it's genetic i think) so went on controlled diet. ate low GI food as much as possible, full cream fresh milk, brown rice, multigrain bread. gave birth and 6 weeks later miraculously cured of GD.

Read more
VIP Member

Avoid seasonal fruits as they contain higher sugar level than others. Also try to avoid sweet stuff like pastries and cut ur rice intake to half or substitute it with brown rice instead. This was what my gynae advised me and I followed it to control my blood sugar level. :)

I don’t think GD can be prevented. I eat very minimal carbo 1 mth prior to my test and fail the 2hr reading. I am below 35, not overweight, no family history. Yet still got it. But it’s ok, just control it when it comes. Be positive bout it :)

Avoid having a lot of sweet treats like cakes n desserts. Gestational Diabetes makes baby grow really big n it could lead to complications too, so do take care of yourself n watch what you eat!

fated one.. dont over eat surgar and carbo can liao.. the more u stress about it the more its u healthy for u and ur baby..

Switch white rice to brown rice or quinoa. Cut down on sweet stuff like cakes and pastries.

VIP Member

Was sweet stuff, drink more water but I heard some GD still come.