How much savings did you have before you had your first child?

I recently got pregnant again and hubby and I don't have any savings. A bit worried now.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I only had $300 in my bank when I had my son (it was unplanned), and I pulled through only because I had the help of many within the first year! Took me about a year to get back on my own feet (went back to school at 6 months postpartum) and I'm now building our financial foundation :) My advice would be to just start small on savings, do it every month but start somewhete manageable for you - even if it's just $20/month. When it comes to preparing for a child, there are many things you can save for that aren't necessary, or at least not needed to be bought new!

Read more
VIP Member

You would need $ for antennal checks, delivery of baby, pregnancy and baby items. The first two you may consider govt hospitals and subsidized rates to help ease some burdens . For pregnancy and baby items, look for blessings or preloved items if you are not fussy, will save a lot too. Then will need to start saving for consumables like milk powder, diapers, etc

Read more

I will usually put aside 10% of my salary into another account that I will hardly touch. Maybe you can consider opening another bank account away from the one that you usually draw your expenses from. Also try not to use too much of credit cards.

VIP Member

Are you both working? Save your salary and spend only on essentials. You can make appointment with a family service Centre / social service office (go to msf website to check) and see what help is available for your family.

VIP Member

it takes time to build back what you have as we tend to overspend. some financial planning on your side and set aside a minimal amount.

VIP Member

Try to safe a least 10% of your monthly income for rainy days. Cut down on dining outside and impulse shopping

None. I only had enough to give birth in a hospital