I never give this much thought till now. I have never ever entered a nursing room nor diaper changing room in shopping centres etc before I became a mommy. Now I always check out where they are as soon as I reach. Do these upset you? They paste a signage to say it is solely for parents with children and babies and yet other folks abuse it. 1) Shopping centre staff go in to chit chat and put on makeup or get hot water when there is a separate pantry for them. There you are changing diaper and a man walks in to get water and tries to look. 2) An elderly aunty was almost "bathing" herself and splashing water all over herself and spitting non stop at the basin in the diaper/nursing room at Airport T3. She had also parked her hoarder trolley inside the sole nursing cubicle available. 3) An NTUC promoter locked herself in one of the 2 nursing cubicles for quite a while. We thought the door for this cubicle was faulty and that it got locked inside. A couple and their baby were deprived of the cubicle because a promoter hid inside to rest/chat on her hp. After half an hr when i went in again i saw her coming out, looking away and avoiding all eye contact with me. Whilst it is our privilege to have these facility, I am indeed thankful but will never abuse if I do not need. Just ranting. Share with me what you might do if you witness these scenarios. (nice and polite way)

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Totally understand how you feel, I too have never ever notice the nursery rooms at malls or NY other places till I started bringing my newborn out from 4 weeks ago. Some places have really nice and clean nursery rooms while some are being abused by staff. My worst experience was at T3, Airport staff keep coming in to take hot water AND why is there no cold water dispenser? I have to walk to the other toilet to get cold water from the water cooler -_-

Read more

I guess it is similar to the misuse of handicap toilets. There will always be people who put their own convenience above the real needs of others. Sigh.. Also, it is difficult to be nice and polite with such people (especially with staff working in the malls) as they tend to be quite defensive when one try to point out (politely) that the room is meant for parents and children.

Read more

You made a very good point. People should be educated not to misuse nursing rooms. I'd seen many people (both men and women) going into nursing rooms to get water, but I would not do anything as long as they don't occupy the cubicles. I may have to say that the locals are still mostly considerate and don't really misuse the nursing rooms (at least I have not seen any).

Read more

A friend of mine told another parent away for using the baby/nursing area like it was their own house. They had toys and dirty diapers rolled up in the corner instead of throwing it away properly. This didn't happen in Singapore though and my friend isn't Asian so she pretty much just told the messy parents off.

Read more
VIP Member

There is many times i came across non parents going in for non baby usage. I would usually report to the mall security if they are making a ruckus or made a huge mess. As for refilling water, i just let it go as after all they need to drink water too,

I would definitely be upset as well. I have seen people going in there to rest, charge their handphones. lucky me, most of the time they will go out the minute I enter. I guess they feel awkward as they don't have a child with them.

some outsiders went to fill water & delayed mummies who needed urgently!