Can I know why my 4 mths old baby keep yawning? He will always wake up 30min duration for his nap himself without being disturbed. Not enough sleep?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

He doesn't sleep on his own, am I right? if yes, he has reached the golden age where his sleep pattern has changed. as long as he doesn't know how to self-soothe to sleep, he wouldn't know how to connect his sleep cycles. Once 30mins is up, he's up too. yawning is an indication that he doesn't have enough rest. At this age, naps must be at least 1h to be restorative. Same thing happened to my 7MO three months ago and that's when we feel it is time he has to learn how to sleep independently.

Read more
8y ago

Hi Nana, you need to stop nursing him to sleep ( i made this mistake previously too). you don't have to refer him to a PD, you need to inculcate good sleeping habits. if you need help on how to start a nap/bedtime routine and sleep training, you can use the info in my blog which I wrote for my friends: www.thefirsttimemama.com Hope this helps!

Yawning is a sign of insufficient res. Baby may be experiencing sleep regression so they might wake up when they transit from 1 phase to another (light sleep and deep sleep). We were on standby to tap or rock him at night but good thing it was ok in the day. Allow baby to suckle thumb or use pacifier to smooth themselves back to sleep - or other soothers that they use usually. It's a phase ad they will get over it with your help for now

Read more
8y ago

What about changing to pacifier when he is already quite drowsy but still in ur arms(rocking and tapping still)? (This worked for me)

He is tired. Maybe u can try these few ways. 1. While sitting down on ur sofa, place ur baby on ur chest area. Like putting baby on carrier, facing u. Pat his buttocks gently to slp. 2. Place baby on his bed lying on his side. Put a small pillow or bolster in between his legs. Let him hug a small pillow or bolster den pat him to slp. I think e 1st method may work for u better!

Read more

Yawning means he needs more sleep, or he is tired. When we have insufficient sleep we yawn as well. 30 minutes is too short. Which seems like he has disruptive sleep. How do you soothe him to sleep?