My 4 mths old baby keep yawning whenever he woke up from nap and his night sleep. Can I know why? He is breastfeed so he woke up very 1.5 hr. He does not get enough sleep?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

You might want to read up sleep training books like Babywise, Save our Sleep etc. Sleep training is not just as simple as telling you in a few sentences what to do. It involves educating yourself about baby and sleep. If you don't have time and still feel clueless after reading the books, you may want to engage the help of baby sleep experts like myself to get your baby to sleep well and through the night again. Think of baby sleep expert like a personal trainer, you may know what to do to keep your body fit and strong, but you need someone to come up with a plan and make sure you stick with it to achieve your goals. All the best and sleep well!

Read more

It is normal for a young baby to wake up every 1.5 hours at night for feed. Every baby has a different sleep and feed schedule. If this is something that has changed only recently, it could be because he's going through a growth spurt. I would follow his cue and try to put him back to sleep if he keeps yawning. Does he have awake time that he's not yawning? period of time where he's alert? If he's constantly yawning, I'd definitely bring him to a pd or at least highlight it in the next checkup.

Read more
8y ago

thank u for your response. he does not have a period of time where he is not yawning. oh dear..

His sleep may be intermittent as he wakes every 1.5 hours to feed? Do you mean he wakes every 1.5hr throughout the day even at night? For a 4mo I think you can try to stretch his frequency to every 2.5-3 hours. In this way he gets a longer sleep and the quality of sleep overall will be better. How many hours of sleep does he have in total every day. At 4mo he should still be having 13-16 hours of sleep per day and wakes up lesser to drink at night altho every baby is still different.

Read more
VIP Member

He's definitely not getting enough sleep if he is being fed so frequently. At 4 months old you can definitely stretched his feeding to 3.5-4 hourly. The best way to stretch his feeding frequency is do it at the start of the day - assuming at night he doesn't wake up so frequently and do the EASY cycle Eat, Activity, Sleep and Your Time. Make sure each feed is a full feed. If he's just snacking then you won't be able to stretch his feeding. All the best and sleep well!

Read more
8y ago

he is going to be 5 mths old. still the same.. oh gosh

I tbf him, he drink every 1.5hr. Sometimes 2hrly. He is a small freq drinker as he vomit occasionally. He don't have 14 hrs sleep daily. How to stretch his freq to every 2.5 hr?