Bring young children to hospital to visit people

Hi, I have Toddler n recently my Father-in-law wAs hospitalised. I told hubby that I prefer not to bring my toddler (less than 2 years old) to hospital as she has the tendency to put fingers into her mouth . I prefer to get someone to babysit her for a while while we visit Father-in-law. But hubby was v unhappy n said I'm Too paranoid .. how many of u actually don't mind / mind bringing young kids to hospital to visit people ?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm like your husband. family ties are important (to me). that means being there for each other. while I agree children may (or may not) catch some bugs at the hospital, unless there's a SARS epidemic or similar, the children should go. this also serves to show the kids the importance of family. touch wood, if my wife is hospitalised, despite her objections I will still bring our kids to see her. I believe even tho she may get upset with my actions, she will treasure the presence of our kids. in similar vein, I trust this is how your husband feels. or in the opposite scenario.. If the hospitalised want to see the kids but the other parent refused to bring, how would the hospitalised feel? I know we are not talking about parents-child but rather grandparent-grandchild relationships, but the effect is similar. I also believe that even if the child catches a flu or something, it is just a passing inconvenience, not life and death. if what can be caught is that dangerous then the adults shouldn't visit the hospital as well. I understand your point of view. I had my differences with my wife on the same matter too. in the end, our kids didn't go to the hospital. trust me, I wasn't happy.

Read more