I have a sister in law who just gave birth last April and wants to increase her milk supply but doesn't stop from mixfeeding her child with formula milk. She asks for galactagogues but I advice her to ditch FM and let baby latch to increase her supply since breastfeeding is a matter of demand and supply. How will you deal with it and what to say to her? Thank you.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I agree with you about getting away with formula milk for now if she wants to increase her milk supply. You might convince her by asking other breastfeeding moms to share their personal experiences about increasing milk supply as well as reasons for the decrease in milk supply. Yes, it is true that galactagogues can increase her supply but it is still better if her milk supply increases naturally. Another mom friend of mine once shared that the more often your baby breastfeeds, the more milk you will produce. It is also because the baby stimulates the breast as he/she latches on her. So if she’s alternating the formula milk and breastmilk, chances are the flow of milk supply might be inconsistent as well.

Read more
8y ago

Yeah, that's what I wanted to tell her. But she's a bit ignoring my advices since up until today she stills mixfeed her child. I don't want to let her be annoyed on my consistent advices but I guess she doesn't take it seriously.

You can encourage her to join Breastfeeding Pinays. It's a breastfeeding support group in Facebook so she'll feel empowered to breastfeed fully. Also you could share a thing or two about the top-up trap. (Photo attached and credits go to Breastfeeding Pinays for the photo)

Post reply image
8y ago

Yup, I did ask her to join the group as I am a member as well. I don't know if she did it.

It's really up to her. As most people say, if there's a will,there's a way.