I remember some mummies telling me to cook barley water for baby if feeling heaty. Which barley may I ask? China barley or the normal ones? Thanks!

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! I referred to this post when I first tried making barley water: http://www.mummyicancook.com/2012/09/old-fashioned-barley-water.html The writer mentioned that she preferred Chinese Barley based on her own personal preference. If using Chinese Barley, the writer advised to soak the barley before cooking. Hope this helps!

Read more

i know that use the smaller bean want, they have two type one is bigger and other is smaller bean. Smaller the taste nicer smell is better too if you only want to drink the soup. Because bigger bean that is for ice kachan.

China one are those that could help to bring down the heatiness. Alternatively you can try boiling green bean soup too. It's much easier. Else chrysanthemum is good too and the taste is not to overwhelming.

china one is good. and i know from my mum . to bring heaty down. can cook grean bean..no need to boil very long just only boil awhile and drink the green bean water.

China barley more mild in terms of element(Tcm), normal holland barley is more cooling, might be too cooling for children(usually used to bring down fever)

China type is good. Once boiled, stop cooking immediately. Leave it to cool. Don't put too much rock sugar as it may cause kids to have more phlegm.

Read more

Ya china one is better, and rmb to dun let the barley boil too long in the water

My nanny always recommend China type but no rock sugar.

China barley is the one for baby!