Water substitute

First trimester and going. I’m thinking of brewing something to replace plain water as my wife can’t tahan the taste. rotating pearl barley,green bean and red dates longan. any other suggestions? as i read that barley may not be very ideal. coconut water?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

barley water is ok, with eating the barley.. green bean soup or green bean consider cooling but moderation is ok.. red dates and longon usually confinement drink, for now red dates can drink in moderation.. coconut water is cooling too, the meat is heaty though, but have to take in moderation too.. try drink yogurt drink, yakult, prune juice that have folic acid and calcium.. or even milo, ribena, orange or apple juice (handmade)

Read more

I cant stand room temperature plain water, but I can gulp down ice cold water. I also drink pasteurized orange juice to combat nausea. best not to take any chinese herbs during first trimester as advised by my doctor.

Don’t drink barley, it’s too cooling. (If you believe heaty/cooling) :) I personally do a flask of red dates longan. Just throw into flask add hot water every night before sleeping, next day ready.

I was not able to drink room temp water but was able to take cold drinks thruout my 2nd pregnancy. I would drink lemon water 2-3 thrice a week to stop the nausea as well. Juices would be good too

She can actually drink anything (in moderation) that she can tahan to stay hydrated. Else can try soups. Those red dates longan can keep till confinement..

2y ago

Ah ya, thanks for the clarifications. 😄 Red dates longan tea can drink during confinement instead, not necessary to drink thru out pregnancy. To add on, during confinement, I’ll advise to also drink a bit of plain water instead of fully red dates tea.

Can’t drink too much cooling drinks during pregnancy times.. because it will affect the child’s health in the future. Will get sick easily etc.

Try non caffeine drinks like rooibos or add fruits to your water to jazz it up. Honey and lemon. Just be mindful of sugar content too

try lemon sparkling water! helped me throughout my first trimester too where I cannot take plain water without vomitting :)

Can also try soya bean and chocolate milk! Good sources of calcium for both mummy and baby

u can add a slice of lemon into the plain water :)