I found sexually explicit photos on my daughter's iPhone; should I punish her?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If you had mentioned the age of your daughter one could have answered better. Assuming that you have daughter in her teens, I would suggest punishment would not be a solution. You must ask her or if not comfortable then tell your wife to do the questioning, as from where and why does she have such photos on her phone. Chances are that they are exchanges from her female friends. At this age, kids get exposed to such things and want to share with their friends to giggle over it or discuss it. Hope your daughter is just curious and she is just discovering this new thing she was always guarded off. Talk to her, and know her side of the story. You cannot stop your daughter from not seeing such photos or videos if she wants to, but the thing you can do is to, educate her about these things. Kids are vulnerable at this age and exposed to so many things that if we want them to be safe and not fall into any uncalled for situation, we should educate them. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/teen-angst/201308/teens-who-click-send-and-sext

Read more

I'm assuming your daughter is probably in the pre-teens or early teens, as that is the age when most children start getting curious about sexuality. If you ask me, I'd say hold on to the 'punishment' thing. Instead of reprimanding her, try to talk to her about why she has these images on her phone. It is possible that she has the pictures out of curiosity and has already discussed it with her friends. While it is obviously bothering you, for her and her friends, it may be something to laugh over and then forget. This is also a grave security concern, and you should educate your daughter about the many dangers that can happen in the virtual world. For all you know, someone shared these images and your daughter or her friends may be thinking of sending their own. Talk to her openly instead of being angry, so that next time, she comes to you directly for any concern, instead of hiding it.

Read more

punishment!!! pls choose between open communication or distrust. how can u punish her without knowing how it all got there? and why should u punish when u can discuss.! it's a good opportunity for u to sit her down in a relaxed calm environment and have clear open discussion. ur daughter can clearly guage that becoz u r uncomfortable talking to her thts why u chose the quickest option.... punishment. and today u punish her, she will obey but u piqued her curiosity. and the info she will search for to get her curiosity curbed is not at all good and reliable...can u trust her friends or internet or YouTube etc to answer her questions better than u? so don't punish, listen and communicate in a calm way. be her friend...that will be a more easier relationship to play than tht of a parent

Read more