chronically ill and in pain spouse

My Husband is always in pain and I can’t cope. It’s been 4 years and his pain has been non stop. It’s fustrating. And he’s unable to chip in much into raising our child - and even when he does he acts like it’s the biggest most painful thing in the world. We both still work, so at least financially he’s not a burden. But he’s always in pain and we don’t go out much or have much of a life as he’s usually too sick or too tired to do anything. I know society doesn’t allow women to vent or be miserable with a sick spouse but I feel like this is not the marriage or life I envisioned for myself. I am still in my twenties and we have a small baby. I don’t plan to leave him. And I do love him. But I cannot imagine the next few decades stuck like this. It just feels so good just to write this. I would never tell friends or family what how I feel, lest I be seen as an uncaring monster.

chronically ill and in pain spouse
8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there, As much as you take care of your husband, it is important to take care of yourself. Please surround yourself with people who exude positive energy and can relate to your situation. Go to friends you feel free confiding in. It might also help to have your husband talk to people who have been through a similar situation as he is going through. It is unbelievable what positive energy can do to help someone's outlook on life.

Read more