How to balance stress from work when I am home with my child?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I put everything down soon as I arrive home - lucky to be staying at my parent's who are supportive enough in helping me 1) look after my baby 2) prepare food for everyone dinner - I only mind about spending the few hours left before my baby's bed time that includes bonding, playing, preparing her milk for the night, washing her and changing her diapers, and preparing the breakfast every morning before going to work. Needless to say, I'm also blessed to have a working place where life and work is balanced. Soon as you finish your deliverables for the day, you can already go home - which I always make sure I do so technically, it won't bother me. Also, it pays off that your company know the important things about your family (like your baby is still young, there's an emergency, no one's to look after your kid this certain day etc.) so they know as well where you're coming from and I believe no good company won't excuse you for something that's really really important.

Read more

Draw a thick and strict line between work and family no matter how hard it may be. When you're at work, try to focus as much of your attention so that you can finish your tasks at hand and get home on time or bring work home. And when you're at home with your family, do not bring work along - rest, spend time with your family and relax. In my old workplace, my ex-work partner is a father of 2 and he used to get called up during weekends. I felt bad for him so we decided that if such things happen on weekends, I'd handle them and in return, he'd cover for me when I went away for long holidays. And when he was on Child-Care Leave or Child MC, I'd tell my supervisors not to bother him, instead to ask me about his work so his days with his kids will not be uninterrupted. If you have a good friend/partner/colleague at work that you can count on, perhaps you can come to some sort of an agreement.

Read more

My colleagues practice the same. We have a common understanding within the department that once we have left the office, there will be no mention of ongoing work projects. We also will not contact those on leave unless it is the last and only option (i.e. the person on leave is the ONLY one with the information needed to solve a critical issue). With that, work issues are left at work and all of us can focus on our personal stuff once we leave the workplace. The rule is the same for when we are at work. We will be all focused and in "work mode" during the time spent in the office. If there is any emergency to attend to, we will take urgent leave and not let our personal issue affect our time at work. This way, we give our best and have a healthy work-life balance. Always remember that there is always work to do and you could continue the next day when you are in office. :)

Read more
VIP Member

When I'm home with my kids, I try not to do work at all. I allocate a NO-WORK time and devote myself to just my children for that couple of hours (if you have hours to spare). So no checking of phones and emails during that time at all. They deserve your attention and when you really switch off from work, you don't feel that stress anymore. You may also inform your colleagues or your boss that you won't be checking your emails when you are home with your kids and if there is an emergency, they should call you instead.

Read more
VIP Member

I just merge family life and work life together - no boundaries, when at work I sometimes handle family stuff and when I am at home I often handle work stuff.

thanks