How much TV time or IPAD time do you limit to your toddler? How much is too much?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Although some screen time can be very educational and a lot of fun, it's very easy to go overboard and become dependent on this technology when it comes to your children – technology as nanny to the rescue! If you are one of those parents concerned about how much time your child spends watching TV or playing video games or on an iPad, there are sensible ways you can balance out the virtual and the “reality.” Here is what you can do to keep YOU and your child's screen time in check. Limit a child's use to no more than one or two hours a day. This sounds like a very low amount, given the massive time most children spent in front of television, computer, and gam screens, but before you write it off, consider the results of recent studies. Too much screen time has been linked to: Obesity Irregular sleep Impaired academic performance Violence

Read more

Yup, I would say everything in moderation as well. TV time I would suggest 30mins a day. Ipads/phones would be 20mins the most (mainly for as a distraction while mummy do important chores). No matter what duration, important point is to keep to the timing stated. No bargaining. One trick you can try is to let your child choose between outdoor play and tv time (in the evening time). Usually, children will prefer outdoor play. So this will make it their own choice and hopefully, subtly make them feel that TV/gadgets are not as interesting afterall. Haha.. not backed by scientific finding by the way. Just a trick I thought of. Not sure if it works. ;p

Read more

number of hours is not really a suitable metric, it honestly depends on what the child can do at home. would you rather the child run around the house up to mischief you cannot see or sit there and watch tv while you go about your daily chores? If you can afford to spend time with your little one the whole day den tv and device time can be limited as you can bond with your little one thru reading & playing. As to the question of how much is too much, it is individual. But if your child is reliant on devices to be able to calm down or even sit down for a meal, den that is too much

Read more

No doubt technology has taken over all the outdoor games and indoor games as well, but personally I believe that toddler should not be given IPAD. Television you can let her watch for say half an hour or an hour depending on how old the kid is. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/if-babies-could-talk/201507/should-you-let-your-toddler-use-ipad https://www.commonsensemedia.org/screen-time/how-much-screen-time-is-ok-for-my-kids http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/tv-affects-child.html

Read more

Moderation is the key. Parents have to step in to control the time for ipad. I only offer ipad/smart phone when necessary e.g. fussing in long car journey. Nothing beat hands-on learning through real experiences and interactive learning. Ipad is a form of passive learning and long term usage will detriment kid's attention span. Also, high chance kids will develop myopia if use ipad for long term. I would say maximum 30mins-1hour for screen time.

Read more

mostly discourage them to phone when at home as since we have larger screen like TV which should b a better choice.. though not the most ideal solution but its better than them on the little screen... mostly need give in to them when makan-ing time else we adults cant eat in peace when they are done. .. but am trying to cut down or rather replace with reading books instead (if i can)

Read more

I agree on moderation also. For my girl she won't focus on tv for long even if I on for a few hours cos she only watch selective shows & songs which she like. But for iPad n tv I limit to half hour & especially before sleep will strictly no no. Cos it will become a habit & affect their sleep so I only allow her watch iPad n iPhone when I need to do something or she earn it.

Read more

There really is no magic number that's "just right." What's more important is the quality of kids' media and how it fits into their --and your family's -- lifestyle. Pay attention to how your kids act during and after watching TV, playing video games, or hanging out online.

Screen time should be controlled and limited. While you can't ban them from screen time completely make sure they have a balance of both indoor and outdoor activities. I would say about 30 mins to 1 hour 30 mins of screen time a day.

If they use it so much that they spend less time outdoor than a prisoner, you know there is a problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=98&v=8Q2WnCkBTw0