My lil one is 6 mths and really attracted to the TV. Hubs and I would like to control TV time. At what age do they start to become aware and potentially get hooked? How much TV time should we allow?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I guess we all grew up watching tv as there were not many sources of entertainment during our generation. I would say a little bit of tv is ok maybe about 10 mins every day for babies and slightly more for toddlers and young children. Stipulated tv time can also be done, for example 10 mins after waking up from their nap, up to you. Tv time can give sahm mummies like us some free time to throw the laundry into the washer or just grab a cuppa and chill. I grew up watching a fair amount of tv but in no way did it dampen my love for books and learning. In fact I learnt a lot as a kid from educational programmes. As an adult now I do not like to watch tv. :)

Read more

My 7 month old baby is always attracted to the TV too but I personally do not allow any TV time for her. I have read up on a few articles which states the negative effects of TV for children below the age of 2 and hope this article might help. https://www.healthychildren.org/English/family-life/Media/Pages/Why-to-Avoid-TV-Before-Age-2.aspx

Read more

Generally, lil ones get hooked to Television at around 1 year of age, play with your kids take them to the park, have them play with other kids and you yourself need to reduce your own TV time as well. There has to be a schedule from the start, that is have a time scheduled as TV time (could be 10-15 mins 2 times a day).

Read more

Screen time is the amount of time your child spends using a device that has a screen such as a TV, computer etc. Recommended amount of screen time depends on a child’s age. Children under two should not have any screen time and those under aged five and under should have less than two hours a day.

idk I think kids need to play with toys read books go outside and not be stuck to a tv

thanks