How much ipad time do you think is OK for a preschooler? My boy has learnt a lot about topics that interest him such as dinosaurs through YouTube videos. I'm just thinking whether is it causing more harm than good?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Here's a rather comprehensive (but quite lengthy) article on the amount of screen time for children: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/digital-home/how-much-screen-time-is-healthy-for-children-benefits-3520917/ Personally, I feel that there are benefits of allowing your child to learn about things on his own from the internet. Still, it will be good to be more hands-on for young children. Learning through play can help develop abstract and conceptual thinking. These are different from learning via videos and ipad games. In all, it is back to having everything in moderation to reap the benefits of all options. :)

Read more

for me I restrict the timing and frequency of ipad usage. If he asks, I don't give him, even if he cries and throw tantrums. He has to learn ipad is not an entitlement. And he gets at most 15min airtime. He usually plays some mini games, some is about numbers, watches some children songs, maybe watch abit of cartoon that's all. I usually only use it as a last resort to make him do what I need him to do, distract him so that I can do my things like eat, etc. I'll try other things first like toys, books etc.

Read more

Moderation is the key. Parents have to step in to control the time for ipad. I only offer ipad/smart phone when necessary e.g. fussing in long car journey. Nothing beat hands-on learning through real experiences and interactive learning. Ipad is a form of passive learning and long term usage will detriment kid's attention span. Also, high chance kids will develop myopia if use ipad for long term.

Read more
VIP Member

With everything, there are pros and cons. My ex colleague regretted letting her iPad babysit her child as her child has to wear spectacles at the age of 5. Also, when children use the iPad, they don't interact with other people and this decreases interaction time with family members. http://www.gameskinny.com/gt6n0/the-pros-and-cons-of-letting-your-toddler-use-a-tablet

Read more

We use the ipad during our homeschool time and during breaks i allow them to play games but that's it. Everything in moderation is the key.

thanks