How do you latch your baby? My baby gets very impatient and frustrated whenever she latch. She will cry for 5-10mins before she managed to latch. I feel stressed that I can't latch her on. So I'm pumping out and feeding her with bottle.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Ideally, you need proper guidance to latch a baby properly by seeing a lactation consultant. You can call up the hospital that you delivered in and seek their help. A few factors that affect latching: -Improper positioning, -Improper latching, -baby is crying too hard, and -short/inverted nipple. You mentioned your baby would cry before she manages to latch. Try to soothe your baby before latching. Avoid waiting till baby is very hungry then you latch. Try putting baby on your chest before latching and let her get comfortable. Also, your mood does affect baby's mood too. You need encouragement and so does your baby. Keep talking to her, try to stay calm. If all else fails, please seek the help of lactation consultant to find out the root cause of baby not being able to latch. This is to help you maintain your sanity and for baby's cooperation. =)

Read more

Yes try different positions and take note of which works well for both you and baby. Secondly are you feeding on demand or routined feeds? Otherwise, look for cues before she gets into a frenzy stage. That would help. Trying to avoid baby getting into that stage might lessen the frustration for both and make it a much more pleasant experience. Dont give up dear. :)

Read more

I think it's best to get professional advice from a lactation consultant. Don't be like me, did not solve the root problem and introduce bottle and baby gradually reduced latching from 4 mths and stopped latching totally at 10mths. 😭 feel so upset and wish he would latch back...

Try different positions. My baby likes to be nursed in the sitting up froggy position.