How will I cheer up my sister who already started mix feeding her 9mon old boy because she decided to only latch him at night time and use feeding bottle during daytime. Poor sister cries during latch as baby bites her and leave a super ouchy wound she can't stand it. :(

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

A teething child is every breastfeeding mom's delima. If her baby just keeps on biting her then her baby is not actively nursing. I'm currently breastfeeding my 6 mos old twin boys and they already have 2 front teeth when they turned 5 mos. Here's a couple of things I've done whenever they chomp. Advise your sister whenever her baby bites her slightly slide her finger to get it in between or press gently press the baby's nose gently to unlatch. And stop nursing for a couple of minutes and talk to the baby calmly. If she already had some wounds, she may continue to latch and it will heal itself. But if the pain is really unbearable. For the meantime she may pump or hand express. She may also ask her OB what ointment she might need to apply for her wounds. I hope everything goes well with your sister. She may also join support groups in FB such as Breastfeeding Pinays.

Read more

This is what you call nipple confusion. Babies younger than 3 weeks old and those who have just started their bottle feeding would have this as one of their issues. Good thing is the baby still latches on your sister unlike others, they try to refuse when they were already used to bottle feeding. Resolving this problem comes with a lot of patience. The best way to help your sister would be to find a breastfeeding counselor to guide her through this adjustment. Another is to use nipple shields for her comfort.

Read more

Hi! try suggesting on wearing nipple shields. These totally helps with the biting problem. :)