How do I respond to people who pressure me to wean my toddler? My mother-in-law is pressuring me to stop breastfeeding my 19-month-old daughter. She says she's too old to nurse and breast milk isn't good for him now that she's over a year old. They also think she behaves too much like a baby and is too attached to me because I nurse her. But we are just not ready to give it up. What should I do?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

that is ridiculous! your MIL, or no one for that matter, has the right to tell you when to stop. it is something that is for you and your baby to come to an understanding to, unless it is affecting one of you in any way. as long as your baby is having other foods and is not only asking for your milk, i don't think you need to stop. also, if you are fine and are not getting bitten or are at a risk of developing infection near the nipple area, i think there is no risk involved. she is a baby! and she will rightfully behave like one. please be firm with your MIL and tell her you will stop when you please, and that she should not talk to you about it again. and obviously your baby will be attached to you, this is the most natural bond in the world. so do what feels right to you and ignore all the rubbish. much love..

Read more