How to encourage my LO to start walking? She can walk supported but when i hold 1 side of her hand, she cant walk that well and tends to fall one side and then she will cry and be scared of walking. She is scared of the floor becos we seldom put her on the floor and crawl. Most of the time she is on soft surfaces. She always pull herself into standing position and just stand there till she fall back to sitting position. How do i encourage her to take mini steps? She is 1yo btw.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think just leave it to nature. Your gal is already on track so I won't worry too much. Like what you have been doing just continue to hold her hands to walk and maybe stand in front of her with your hands stretched out and encourage her to walk to you? My gal won't do that, she will go back to the crawling position and crawl towards me. I guess when they are ready they will just walk naturally. I have heard that putting them in a playpen will encourage them to try walking more as they walk from one side to the other and you won't have to worry them falling

Read more
8y ago

i tried your method but she just stand there dont dare to walk and cry. she can cruise pretty well. sometimes she will sit on walker too. think will have to let nature take its course.

Hmm - I feel every kid will develop at his/her own pace and there is no need to "rush". Unless you feel that it is a medical concern. My personal thoughts are - kids know how we feel. The more pressured / gan chiong we are - the more pressured / gan chiong the kid will be. So why add on all these unnecessary pressure to yourself and to your child too? Just embrace every single moment of her babyhood! Anyway - you do know walking comes with an additional set of challenges too! Walk then run and soon you have to chase after her =p

Read more
8y ago

yeah im letting things go naturally now..meanwhile i can slim down abit after chasing her. thank u for ur advice! 😁

Hi, I guess, let her be and do not push her. She is already started walking with support and soon she will on her own take the risk of walking without holding anything. You just got to be patient. I suggest, enjoy these moments of her trying to walk taking support, as soon this will be the thing of the past. See, she can learn walking before her own time also if you encourage her, but why put so much pressure on her already.

Read more

She can pull herself to standing , what about lowering herself from standing to sitting position? Cause by right that's the next step... then stand unsupported etc before walking unassisted

8y ago

she can lower herself but need hold onto smth.

Hi Yueh Ru, im not sure if we can teach baby to walk. Good to continue encouraging her to stand. Id say let nature runs its course. Babies learn best at their own pace. :)

8y ago

Not at all :)

I left my girl in the cot. Guided her hand to hold on to the handrail and she started to roam around. I didn't do too much and she took her first step on 10.5months old.

Post reply image
8y ago

wah i definitely will look up on these shoes! thanks 😀