How do you tell your sister-in-law to leave you and your husband alone when in an argument? Mine is very intrusive and I need to put a stop to it. Please advise!

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Heyi don't get it...how does she interfere with her opinions? How does she know whenever u guys are discussing/having an argument? Don't tell me she lives with you guys??? Also is she asked for her opinions or she just feels the need to intervene You have to figure out a way for her to stay away from both of you when its not required... From your question I gather that she's overall a very intruding persona... Politely smirkingly tell her a couple of times and thats it... Then be direct and ask her to back off if she still doesn't get it... Keep your wife on your side so that she doesn't take offense to this..

Read more

If it's parent in law or an elderly type of relative, I'd let it slide. But if it's a sister in law, who's around my age, I'd tell her to mind her own business. She wouldn't like it if I butted in her personal arguments, so I'd expect the same courtesy from her. But that's just me -- yes, in laws are super tricky and it's always good to pick your battles well.

Read more

If you're in good terms with your SIL, you can tell her yourself. However, letting the husband handle is the best route. Ask your husband to advise his sister on this matter. Also, getting a room to discuss issues that concern a couple is an absolute must. Washing your dirty linen in public only attracts onlookers.

Read more

In-laws are pretty tricky to handle. For me personally, if it was anything in-law related, I would get my partner to settle it instead because he's in a better position than I am and also would be able to better understand them so his approach would seem less harsh as compared if I do.

Don't argue with your husband infront of anyone. I argue with my husband in private. when we're out in public, I try my best to not mention anything we argued about. Always, we end up reconciling because we forget what we argued about in private...and it gives us a break.

Yes, this is a tricky situation. A good way would be to politely ask her to stay away from interfering in your matters. However, if things still don't work out, you can get your husband or some elder in the family to speak to her.

Are you guys having arguments in the open? The right advise will be don't argue in public... Have them in the privacy of your own room.. Easier said than done.. But if someone bully my brother or sister.. I will side them too.

You can't help nosy relatives from butting into arguments they don't have a right to be in, but you can talk to your in-law and husband at the same time and talk it our. Hopefully your husband is on the page with you on it.

Get your husband to speak to her if you find it rude on your side to do so, if not there is no wrong in you letting her know your opinion and what you feel about her intruding.

in angry mode, i will just turn and look at her and ask her to shut up . its non of her business. sometimes directly tell them off like this stops all intrusion !