How do you persuade a 2 year old child to go to the dentist ?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Prepare your child If possible, schedule morning appointments so young children are alert and fresh. Prepare a preschooler or older child for the visit by giving him or her a general idea of what to expect. Explain why it is important to go to the dentist. Build excitement and understanding. Prepare yourself Discuss your questions and concerns with the dentist. Remember that your feeling toward dental visits can be quite different from your child's. Be honest with your view of the dentist. If you have dental anxieties, be careful not to relate those fears or dislikes to the child. Parents need to give moral support by staying calm while in the dental exam room. Children can pick up parents' anxieties and become anxious themselves. Prepare the dentist At the first visit, give the dentist your child's complete medical history. For a restoration visit, like getting a cavity filled, tell the dentist if your child has stubborn, defiant, anxious, or fearful traits in other life experiences. Watch how your child reacts. Many parents are able to anticipate their child's possible response to certain situations and should inform the dentist. Certain behaviors may be linked to the age of your child: 10 to 24 months. Some securely attached children may experience developmental separation and become upset when taken from their parents for an exam. 2 to 3 years. A securely attached child may be able to cope with a brief separation from parents. In a 2-year-old, "no" may be a common response. 3 years. Three-year-olds should not be expected to accept separation from their parents for restoration treatment procedures like getting a cavity filled. This is because most 3-year-olds are not socially mature enough to separate from parents. 4 years. Most children should be able to sit separately from parents for exams and treatment procedures. The first visit Your child's first dental visit is to help your child feel comfortable with the dentist. The first dental visit is recommended by 12 months of age, or after several baby teeth have erupted. The first visit usually lasts 30 to 45 minutes. Depending on your child's age, the visit may include a thorough exam of the teeth, jaws, bite, gums, and oral tissues to check growth and development. If needed, your child may also have a gentle cleaning. This includes polishing teeth and removing any plaque, tartar, and stains. The dentist may show you and your child proper home cleaning like flossing, and advise you on the need for fluoride. Because baby teeth fall out, X-rays aren’t usually recommended for diagnosing decay. X-rays are used to see if the root of a jammed baby tooth may be affecting an adult tooth. In general, it is best not to use X-rays in young children unless absolutely necessary.

Read more
VIP Member

Aside from the good points mentioned above, I would suggest to expose her to different kid-friendly images and videos relating to dental health care. At such a young age, you can show and teach your child about dental health care in a fun and interactive way. Do brushing of teeth together and show how fun it is by including some playtime. I agree with Diana on a role-playing type of game wherein your kid can be the dentist and you can be the patient. You may also start off by buying a tooth-shaped pillow (which you can make your own) or toys. There are a lot of kid-friendly medical toys that are safe and BPA-free that you can purchase. By doing so, your child would possibly gain interest in going to the dentist's clinic. Also, you can check the clinic as well. There are a lot of clinics that have play area for kids so they would be more delighted to come visit again. As for the toys I've mentioned earlier, you might get some ideas from here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/268744091/girls-tooth-fairy-pillow-tooth-pillow?ref=market

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

If your kid is very noticeably jittery when visiting the dentist, you should never disregard his/her feelings and sweep it aside. Acknowledge your child’s concerns no matter how petty they may seem to you. Remember, he is still a kid with, sometimes unfounded, fears. You can lead her toughts to what fun he might have during the visit. Say something like: “I know you’re slightly nervous about seeing the doctor, but everything will be great. He will be looking into your mouth to see if he can find a fluffy pink bunny...Oh, remember the stickers and candy you got from your last dentists visit for being so brave?”

Read more

I brought my boy who is 2.5years old to dentist 2 weeks ago. 1 week prior to the dental visit, I borrowed some books regarding visiting to dentist and read with him to let him know what to expect during the check-up. Also, we played pretending games whereby he is the dentist and I am his patient. He was very excited and looking forward to the dental visit. During the dental visit, I sit together with him and he lied on my chest. He was very cooperative during the check and done within 10 minutes.

Read more

Firstly don't let the kid feel that it's a big deal. Show them videos like below to make them feel more comfortable and infact excited about the visit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEIZWBDaxCU

This may be dependant on the dentist. A good one will make sure the kid is comfortable with the dental treatment.