How do you educate people with regards on baby wearing? One time i got my baby a woven wrap and i totally fell in loved with it, but one day when my neighbor saw us she said to me that uy magiging "sakang" anak mo jan! and she points her pointy finger at us saying "mukha pa kayong badjao" sabay tawa of course i got offended and said to her that being sakang is "namamana" and i already told her that her ignorance is too obvious, then she kept on laughing at us and we just walk away feeling saddened

Post image
72 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Always keep this mind: We are not born to please everybody. I have tons of friends who said the same thing when I posted a photo of me and my one month old baby in a ringsling, saying my baby was too young, bones are soft, "masasakang" and all other unsolicited comments. I remember someone commented on my Instagram account saying my son was tied, poor baby, carry him instead of putting him on that fabric. At first, I was so mad and dealing with those people are really a stress to me. So what I did, I posted more photos (lol) until the person who commented that my baby was too young to be carried like that (deep seat, wrapped, etc) became a convert herself and now owned several carriers. People may say what they want to say, but we mothers wants the best for our kids. Who would want them "sakang", right? Ignore them. Wear your baby proudly. By the way, I love your wrap!

Magbasa pa
8y ago

I think we belong in the same babywearing group. Haha. Good idea! I do that all the time! I bring my son everywhere with our wrap or our wrap. Lakas kaya maka artista, right? They always turn their heads to you, especially when you use a bright wrap! Ha

Same...naka wrap din ang baby ko...sad to say mga kamaganak or kakilala ko pa ang kumukutya sabe eh kawawa naman daw anak ko mukhang badjao...first of all walang masama maging badjao tao din sila. Ang sinasabe ko nlng sa kanila eh atleast naibbgay ko yung security and love na hinihinge ng anak ko sakin. Bilang isang ina tungkulin ko ibigay sa kanya yun lalo na sa mura nya edad hndi nya pa alam gagawin nya sa mundo and hindi ako katulad nila na pinaiiyak ang bata dahil ayaw nila masanay sa karga...para sakin kung gusto magpakarga ng anak ko hanggang kelan nya gusto gagawin ko tutal hndi naman habang buhay sya magpapakarga....pero pag nasa labas kame amaze na amaze mga ibang tao astig daw ang ganda daw mdame nag sasabe ang sarap ng tulog ng anak ko feeling may yumayakap...kaya sa lahat ng baby wearers mabuhay tayo!

Magbasa pa

I've experienced the same thing when we once went to the bank and I am wearing my baby. I can hear one old lady saying about those stuffs when finally she confronted me to remove the baby cause it will cause "sakang." I just looked at the old lady and told her that "sakang" is hereditary and baby wearing has nothing to do with it. I even tried her to feel free to research about it since she has a smartphone. Then gave him my biggest smile. Just confidently baby wear and don't mind those people who has so much to say with things that they seem not to know about. After all, we are confident that baby wearing is not bad for our babies and will even get them closer to us. Go baby wearing mommas!

Magbasa pa

When I was just pregnant, I have planned to babywear. I'd been checking on different kinds of carriers and been researching about it. Here in the Philippines, old folks believed that wearing your baby on the optimal position would make babies bow legged. Just explain to them that babywearing doesn't make baby's leg bow legged. Bow leggedness is hereditary. Also educate them the benefits of babywearing. Babywearing is a great practice for keeping baby happy and to help build a stronger bond between mom and her baby. The benefits of babywearing help babies grow up smarter and happier. - Dr. Sears Also please see: http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/laura_simeon.html Happy babywearing!

Magbasa pa
8y ago

Hi thanks for the inputs but my question is how do you educate people and this people is/are mocking baby wearing and the wearer by saying not so nice. Would love to hit them with a powerful note without getting them offended.

When i was 4 years old my mom told me na sakang daw ako (she remember me running towards her crying because i dont want her to leave for work then she notice my legs sakang daw ang panget ng pag takbo ko hehehe..)pero malaking question mark saknya na bakit daw hindi na ngayon?. Ganyan din aNg carrier ko sa baby ko. Ngayon 5 months na tinatry nia na tumayo at nakita ko nmm legs nia diretso... di rin ako nag kulang sa pag massage ng legs nia every change ng diaper.. kaya momsh yang mga tao walang naitutulong kung my mga salita pang ganyan. Hayaan mo nalang sila.. wala nmm sila magaggawa wag ka nlng pa apekto.

Magbasa pa

I've read this from someone i found it funny but it definitely made it's point, when they mentioned sakang, the girl simply said, "diba po ang sakang eh mula tuhod pababa? Paano nakakasakang ito eh mula hita hanggang tuhod lang yung carrier? Di man lang umabot sa binti" true enough whoever said sakang was stumped lol! I haven't experienced this but i have infographics saved on my phone in case pf scenarios like this so i will just show them facts

Magbasa pa

hugs Mommy! I too had same ordeal while wearing my baby when she was still a newborn. I didn't mind them. because really what's wrong with being a badjao? I'm proud to say now those people who said negative things about baby wearing have now asked me to teach them or their kids. Just keep babywearing and smile at them. as I always say keep spreading the babywearing love!

Magbasa pa

Just ignore her! Haters are always gonna hate and if you and your baby love it, feel comfortable with it, please don't give it up. I think baby wearing is awesome, helps the mom and baby bond. How you choose to raise and take care of your child shouldn't be up to the judgment of other especially if they are of good intentions and not harmful to baby. Hang in there!

Magbasa pa

Normally for people I don't know, i just ignore them. It can be hard to educate them and provide advice. Most likely no one will back down. But if it's someone you know, just say you did your research. Ask or invite them to join babywearing groups. I also had my own babywearing album on my fb page that includes various infographics.

Magbasa pa

Sad truth po we can't really educate those who refused to be educated. Kasi she came at u with a mindset na kaya fixated na siya dun. Hayaan nyo nalang po kasi malamang di sya na babywear nung baby siya. 🤣 Nasabi nyo naman na dapat nyo sabihin enough na yun you dont have to explain yourself you dont owe them that.

Magbasa pa