How can I tell if my baby is getting enough breast milk, since I can't count the number of ounces?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Baby should have at least 5 wet diapers a day. Baby will normally unlatch when they have full tummy. These are additional important signs that indicate your baby is receiving enough milk: -The baby nurses frequently averaging at least 8-12 feedings per 24-hour period. -The baby is allowed to determine the length of the feeding, which may be 10 to 20 minutes per breast or longer. -Baby's swallowing sounds are audible as he is breastfeeding. -The baby should gain at least 4-7 ounces per week after the fourth day of life. -The baby will be alert and active, appear healthy, have good color, firm skin, and will be growing in length and head circumference. http://www.llli.org/faq/enough.html

Read more
VIP Member

For me, I adopt on demand feeding and I have never tracked the duration of latching either. You will know if your baby is full when your breasts feel considerably softer and baby is relaxed and satisfied. Yes, as what Stephanie has said, as long as your baby produces wet nappies and is satiated, you don't have to worry about the amount. http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-whether-your-babys-getting-enough-breast-milk_617.bc

Read more

Usually if baby is not fussy and seems satisfied and happy, he should be having enough of milk. Other signs include baby should have lips that look wet and moisturized and your boobs should feel soft after a feed. The most important thing to look out for will be her output. The number of wet nappies you have everyday as well as bowel movements.

Read more
Post reply image

Feed on demand. Babies are smart enough to know when they are full and bcoz they have small tummies plus breastmilk is faster to digest than formula milk, it's common if baby wakes up every 1 to 2 hours crying for milk. Just monitor his wet diapers accordingly to ensure that he isn't dehydrated.

Read more

does your baby seem satisfied and happy after feeding her ? If yes then she is definitely getting enough milk. other ways are your breasts will be a bit swollen after feeding. This means they are empty and the baby has drank all the milk

If the baby poops enough and gains weight steadily at paediatrician check-ups, then he's getting enough breast milk :)

thanks