How can I tell if my baby is getting the right amount of fluoride and when should I start taking my baby to the dentist?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The recommended amount of fluoride for children under three is 0.25mg per day. Fluoride could strengthen tooth enamel, making it more resistant to acids and harmful bacteria, which help to prevent tooth decay. Common sources of fluoride are toothpaste and water. If your baby is getting food or milk prepared with water, it is likely that he/she is getting adequate amount of fluoride from the water (Singapore’s water is fluoridated). You could check if your dentist to find out if additional fluoride supplement is needed for your baby. You can start taking your baby to the dentist by age one or after he/she has the first tooth (whichever earlier). This will help your baby get used to subsequent visits and make it a less (hopefully) traumatizing experience as he/she grows up.

Read more

I was told that a child should start visiting the dentist 6 months after the first tooth has sprouted and subsequently every 6 months. This is what I did with my elder child but once she is in primary school, I understand that there will be yearly visits to the dentist that is attached to the school. I can make arrangements with the school's dentist should I see a need to have an extra check on my daughter's teeth. We can get a referral for treatment if there is a need to as well from the school's dentist.

Read more

You should choose toothpaste that is specifically for children, sometimes there will be an age indication on its label. After baby turns 2 years old, it is time to use fluoride based toothpaste, as the by the time he/she reaches 2 years old already knows how to rinse and spit. I brought my kids to see dentist at 2 years old, as I feel they are washing their teeth diligently daily and shouldn't be any problem. Recently, I just brought my 2.5 years old son for his first dental check and passed.

Read more

thanks