How do I know if my baby is getting enough milk via breastfeeding? He drinks 180ml of ebm - but how can I find out if it's the same when he's feeding directly? He keeps falling asleep while feeding directly :(

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You can look out for signs indicating that your baby is well fed: - baby looks relaxed and contented after a feed - weight gain after the first two weeks - more frequent nappy change (guide: 6-8/day) - baby’s stool should lighten to a yellowy mustard colour after first five days from birth - your breasts feel softer and emptied after nursing and signs that your baby may need more milk: - baby continues to lose weight - baby has small and dark stools - dark coloured urine - baby is often fussy and lethargic - rarely hearing your baby swallowing while nursing - your breast don’t feel softer after nursing For more details, you can refer to this article: http://sg.theasianparent.com/is-your-baby-getting-enough-milk/

Read more

You can't find out how much he's drinking through the breast but you can monitor from baby's output. As long as he produces enough wet diapers for his age and is putting on weight well then it will be fine. To prevent him from falling asleep you could probably try talking to him and playing finger games with him so that he stays awake.

Read more
Post reply image

thanks