How and when do you teach your kids to take spicy food? None of my kids like spicy and living in Singapore, I really hope they can grow to like spicy foods.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have read that we can introduce spicy food to even 6 months old baby. I think there is no strict rule to when you can introduce spicy taste to your kids. Even during infant stage, baby can be exposed to strong taste in breastmilk if mommies take in a lot of spicy food. This also help to exposure baby to wider range of tastes. I think it's good to expose kids to wide range of tastes as young as possible so that they will grow to be more accepting to different tastes. You can start to introduce spicy food to your kids now. Maybe can start by mixing garlic paste into their purée or food as garlic is milder & has many health benefits. http://m.livescience.com/36487-babies-spicy-food-introducing-solids-spices.html

Read more

You can try introducing them to milder versions of the spicy food that you are eating to help them acquire a liking towards it. For example, when your family is having laksa, let your children have a taste of the noodle without the gravy. Or when you cook curry for the family, decrease the level of spiciness so that they can learn to appreciate the spicy/hot taste. You can also give them options so that they will be more open to trying a different flavour (e.g., having both options of dipping prata in sugar and curry, and encourage them to try both). The idea is not to overwhelm their taste buds with spices that may be too strong. Over time, they will likely be able to accept spicy food.

Read more

For my kids, elder one refused to take spicy food no matter how we convince her while younger one likes spicy food like meesiam. I guess it is okay to just let them explore spicy food slowly and not to force them. I refused to eat spicy food too when I was young. Only until I was late 20s, I start to learn to eat very spicy food.

Read more
VIP Member

It's not really something that can be taught, but perhaps you could slowly introduce spices in their diet. You can start off with mild Japanese curry, which is sweeter and not as spicy. There are different levels of spiciness for Japanese curry, and you can increase the level once your children have adapted to the taste.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

I haven’t try on my boy yet.. maybe I should start give a little. Haha

thanks

I love spicy food.