Would you homeschool your child? Why/why not?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Education starts at home. It is written in stone. As time goes by, it seemed that it was washed away. The industrial revolution paved the way for a new kind of education. Have you ever wondered why we are seated in a row in a class, or why we are arranged alphabetically? I attended an educational seminar a couple of weeks ago and realized that the traditional school system I had is preparing me to work in a system, a factory system. It was true centuries ago then why are some educational institutes follow the same process? I have been in the education industry for 15 years teaching ESL and English: I have somewhat followed the same procedure. Fortunately, I was given a chance to work in an institute that wants to innovate education; that is the time I realized the path the I want to take, innovating education. Now, I am having a metamorphosis in my teaching styles; I have never been so happy in my life. We are handling Gen Z and Gen Alpha soon, and they are not the same people from centuries ago. One of the changes in education, or I can say, the cycle is going back to home. Parents are one of the best teachers in human history, and I believe that it depends on the parents too. We are now faced with a lot of societal problems: we have traffic jams, crimes, and bullyings. Our home is supposed to be the safest place in the world, and as parents, it is our responsibility to make it. I am handling the homeschool department of the school as a coordinating adviser. Based on my experience, the quality of education is not affected by the location of the student. The quality will depend on the student and the parents. The parents must be willing to put time and effort into monitoring and guiding their children in accomplishing tasks. DepEd has given out clear course outlines for grades 11 and 12; by the way, I am only exposed to grades 11 and 12 homeschools. It is very easy to follow, and the good thing about having a partner school to work with is the extra help that you can get from them, not only in the education but also in the reintegration of your children to campus-based school. Homeschooling has again proven that the home is still one of the places education can take place. It is possible to have this again with the help of all the stakeholders. Some institutes support it. For now, I will say Yay for it.

Magbasa pa

I used to tutor children for about 2 years, and have pretty extensive knowledge in developing a solid curriculum that can supplement their academics based on their corresponding grade. So, I would feel comfortable homeschooling my daughter. However, I think it depends on the child and how they learn. Every child learns and develops differently and that should definitely be taken into account.

Magbasa pa

Yes and No. I'm okay to homeschool my child during their early years because it will also give us more bonding time together while learning. No, because in the long run my child would need to socialize and explore other things outside home. Plus I personally don't have the materials to sustain homeschooling them for a long time.

Magbasa pa