Hi mums. How do you store ur expressed breast milk? In a different milk bottle or the storage pack? And how much do you send to the infant care? Please help.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I pump into a bottle and transfer it into a milk bag to be frozen. If you are intending to feed your child soon, you can just refrigerate it. Most mothers thaw their frozen milk in the fridge the day before and transfer the chilled milk into storage bottles. Then they pack their chilled breast milk in a cooler bag to the infant care. The teachers will warm up the milk before feeding your child. Ideally, you should prepare enough for your child's feeds, with an extra feed for back-up in case of spillage.

Read more
Post reply image

I store my spare milk in a spare milk bottle but if I have too much of it I will put it into a storage pack and freeze it. If transporting to infant care I will prepare and separate the feeds in advance to minimise handling by the infant care teachers. And I will also make an extra feed just in case.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

You should store your expressed breastmilk in a sanitised breastpump. You can either buy a manual breast pump or an electric breastpump (this costs a bit more than manual). As for how much you should store: if you are able to adequately pump four times a day, you should ideally store at least 300ml each time.

Read more
Post reply image

thanks