hi mums, do you think there's a big difference btwn those "branded" preschools vs. the "mainstream" ones? the price difference is huge and we've 2 kids.... kinda torn due to finances.....

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For me I feel yes there is a difference between branded preschool vs normal preschool. Branded one is more willing in investing in developing their teachers e.g send teachers for training and courses quite often. Also, branded one they take a lot of initiatives to improve current teaching materials and philosophies. On the other hand, mainstream preschool teachers' pay is much lesser and less motivated to strive for teaching passion (but there are some teachers do have passion despite this factor). For me, I choose a balance between branded one and mainstream one. I am looking for a holistic development. I make sure I talk to principle, teachers, and visit the shortlisted schools and choose the one my child and I feel comfortable. It is very important that your kid is happy to spend time and learn in the school that you chose. If branded school focus too much on curriculum but neglect children's moral development I will not go for it too.

Read more

Yes, the fees for preschools vary greatly! I was just as surprised when I was trying to find a suitable childcare centre for my LO. As much as I was taken in my 'branded' preschools, I decided to take a step back and evaluate other factors. For me, location of the centre, the teachers, curriculum and environment were important factors. This article helped: http://sg.theasianparent.com/how-to-choose-the-right-day-care-centre/2/ If you are concerned about teaching or education philosophies, mainstream preschools such as PCF Sparkletots (http://www.pcf.org.sg/PRESCHOOL-SERVICES/Sparkletots-Curriculum/Content) and My First Skool have sound curriculum as well. As you have mentioned, budget is an important consideration, my suggestion is to make a trip to the pre-school, talk to the teachers and get a 'feel' of the place. Observe children and the classroom dynamics. All the best Mummy in selecting a preschool for your kiddy!

Read more
VIP Member

Rather than the "brand" of the preschool, consider how passionate the teachers are about teaching children and whether the students appear to be happy studying there. More and more preschools are adopting the learn-through-play approach, so even the "mainstream" preschools won't be "lousy". PAP Childrens' Foundation has SPARK accreditation too. Lastly, if finances are tight, don't go for a "branded" school just because. It's akin to carrying an Hermes when you can't afford to dine at a hawker centre. A little far-fetched, but you get the gist. Don't spend more than what you can afford. http://sg.theasianparent.com/choosing-a-preschool-for-your-child-2/

Read more

There must be YES for some differences between both school. But most important is enroll your kid according to your financial affortability, location convenience and etc. Try to get some review of the school from website, you will sutprised some so called mainstream one get very good comments from parents. Other than that, you will only know that school teaching quality, curriculum and development for kid after you'd place your kid in that school.

Read more

I don't think there's any different between branded Sch and mainstream 1..most importantly is that the teacher takes good care of ur kids and ur kids can adapt to the environment there...I have friends who enroll her child to "branded Sch " but her child cannot adapt to the environment there but whereas the kid can adapt to the " normal " Sch

Read more

Both my girls are in PCF ( government preschool ) . I've not regretted cos the teachers there are wonderful . I personally feels that it's how secure when your kids are there . Environment , teachers are more important than brand name .

thanks